Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Commission: The Continent of Maceon

Default Commission: The Continent of Maceon

This is a commissioned map I just started on for a Fantasy Novel. It's very early yet and I just finished defining the landmasses.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maceon map preview.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	2.95 MB 
ID:	63791  
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Quick update.

Name:	maceon map preview 2.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	63795  
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Looks like you're off to a good start. the coastal rings could be smoother to look less digital (same for the drop shadows o coast, it looks too digital to match the hand-drawn mountains imho).

I agree with max about the coastal rings. And I'm not sure about the city icons for the same reasons. Your mountains are just excellent!

I smoothed out the water rings a bit and lowered the opacity of the drop shadow of the land. I think it helped.

I'm sticking with the simplified city markers because I need to ensure they'll be readable at different sizes. Because this one is for a novel, I really want to make sure the map is legible at different sizes and across different mediums (digital and print). I wanted to go with something other than just the usual dots and still make the symbols informative. I can live with sacrificing the aesthetics a bit and I think they accomplish both those goals.

As always, thanks much for the input.

Name:	maceon map preview 3.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	2.80 MB 
ID:	63819  

My Albums - My Portfolio

Progress update.

Name:	maceon map preview 4.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	63922  

My Albums - My Portfolio

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

I think the icons reach their goal nicely. The informations atm looks clear and legible.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Looks fantastic! Very interesting font choice, it works really well. Mind if I ask which one it is? I think I'd like to use it sometime…
    I've got a couple of suggestions: It looks a little strange to me that the land is completely untextured. If you would put the ocean texture on the land as well, but very faint, it'd feel more coherent. And the mountains and forests are very pale, I think they would match the coastline and labels better if they were a little darker.

I fully agree with Lingon about the mountains and forests being a bit pale. And, in fact, I would make the icons a bit less black and would darkened a bit forests and mountains (mainly mountains). I'm not sure about texturing the land, depending on what you have in mind.

Anyway, I really like all the elements (nice canyon!) and the labelling is very good!

Guild Adept

I second the point about mountains and forests. They are line-works, so they should be the same color as other lines, that is black.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast