Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need inspiration

Post Need inspiration

Hello!

Ive been trying to convert this map from Paint to another program, but lack of time and willingness made me abandon that and instead I decided to just go ahead and continue creating a map only using Paint . Might sound weird, but I kind of like the way it looks.

So, I added another continent to the map, but I have kind of hit a wall here. Maybe it was my fault for not planning it out before I did the coastlines, but I have no idea how to go ahead in order to make it acceptable. So I decided to bring a third party in.

So my question is: where do you think the mountains, rivers, plains and so on could be placed? The western continent gives a clue to the scale of the map.

Any other critique or remark is also welcome, of course.

(dont mind the scribblings on the western continent, its not accurate anyway)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Karta, skiss + kontinent 3 + nya berg.JPG 
Views:	169 
Size:	491.4 KB 
ID:	5793  

I'm sorry, I'm so amazed that you produced such a beautiful map using paint that I take the view that you are more than qualified to know where to put the mountains. If you wanted a suggestion I would say (based only on the fact that the southern bit looks like a reversed Iberian peninsula that you have a central plateau in wider area near the bottom and a higher range (ala the Pyranees) joining the coasts at the neck further up.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Ravells I'm with you... when I saw that it was made in Paint of all things I was kind of surprised that it was a request for help. I've never felt that paint was worth a darn for doing anything, and here is very nice map made with that tragedy of a program (no offense meant Mulliman).

But to get to the OP's question, I'm no geography "guru" like some folks are here, I usually just go with what I "feel" looks good. So there's my advice.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I'm astonished that this map is done in paint. Or as you say in swedish "helt fantastiskt".
    But I do think you will get the mountains in yourself. Print the map out and try out som different options where to put your mountains. I usually do it that way and it works great.

Let us see your result when your done.

cheers

Are we talking PAINT as in MS PAINT the default graphics program that comes with MS WINDOWS???????
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Wow, I like what i see...great map!

This is the world for your novel, right? You know, now that i have seen the map in its new version (I think you posted one already, but in a much different format, no?), i demand an excerpt...i want to know what the story is about

As to the problem, i would go with Clercon's suggestion...print it out, try some different versions and i am sure you will hit the "Oh, that looks perfect"-variant in no time
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Quote Originally Posted by Clercon View Post
    Print the map out and try out som different options where to put your mountains. I usually do it that way and it works great.

Let us see your result when your done.

cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by ravells
    If you wanted a suggestion I would say (based only on the fact that the southern bit looks like a reversed Iberian peninsula that you have a central plateau in wider area near the bottom and a higher range (ala the Pyranees) joining the coasts at the neck further up.
    Ah, great idea!

Im actually thinking of putting a big desert in the middle, with two or three cultural centers on the fringes and the desert acting as both a border/wasteland/nomad zone and melting pot. Sort of like Arabia or the Maghreb.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight
    Are we talking PAINT as in MS PAINT the default graphics program that comes with MS WINDOWS???????
    Well, yes . I have intended to learn another program for quite some time, but the main focus of this pet project isnt the mapping anyway, so it was kind of never a priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliathen
    This is the world for your novel, right? You know, now that i have seen the map in its new version (I think you posted one already, but in a much different format, no?), i demand an excerpt...i want to know what the story is about
    Well, it is not a novel yet, as such . It started as an idea of a great empire-builder, which evolved from that. Im a history maniac and student, so this has been the main focus for my world. The story is taking shape, but while I was creating the history, I stumbled across many more good stories, so I guess it will take quite some time to finish any of them .

Quote Originally Posted by Mulliman View Post
    Well, it is not a novel yet, as such . It started as an idea of a great empire-builder, which evolved from that. Im a history maniac and student, so this has been the main focus for my world. The story is taking shape, but while I was creating the history, I stumbled across many more good stories, so I guess it will take quite some time to finish any of them .
    Ah, sounds great. You know, I'd also be interested in the history and workings of this world (I'm a RPG-Fanatic and worlds just interest me ), so if you're willing to share...

And hopefully you'll show us where you go with this map.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

I've filled in some of the eastern continent, though Im not really sure if Im satisfied. Might be I just kill off the northern sea, have to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    Ah, sounds great. You know, I'd also be interested in the history and workings of this world (I'm a RPG-Fanatic and worlds just interest me ), so if you're willing to share...

And hopefully you'll show us where you go with this map.
    Well, where to start?

I first created a world where civilization expanded according to Earth, but that turned out to be rather dull and complicated. So while I am keeping the setting low magic, it still has fantastical elements. Far from hurled fireballs and lightning, the magic is "deep", kind of like it was understood in our own world. The most hands-on magical event in the history of the world is where a nomad warlord makes a pact with the wind, allowing him to carve out a massive empire. But aside from that, magic plays a minor role.

The multiverse where this world is placed is not constructed like ours, with space and stars. Rather think of it like the ancient Colosseum in Rome, where the center of this construct is the "Throne", looking out over row upon row of worlds, like so many pearl necklaces. Numerous species and entities live in the multiverse and when a race of Titans wrested control over the Throne, they, together with their allies, turned on some ancient enemies of theirs.

These enemies were a vampiric race called Amalek, who travelled from world to world, sucking them dry of energy and life. They were now persecuted, the hunt lasting for millennia. Finally, when only eight remained, they fled to a backwater world in one of the outermost rings of the multiverse. This is the world I am creating.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lalala.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	535.1 KB 
ID:	5937  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I think this is coming along nicely, and your background sounds interesting.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast