Thread: Lava field

Default Lava field

I just created a lava field texture out of stacked layers of fractal cloud color mixes (dark orange, light orange), fractal cloud transparency (dark yellow, 100% transparency), then a chopped up stone texture with flat bevel applied sitting on top. Grouped together and exported as a repeating JPG image... enjoy! All done in Xara Designer Pro 9 - my preferred vector drawing application.

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lava_bed.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	813.5 KB 
ID:	63809
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

On a whim, I decided to do a color shift on the above texture and see what I could do to convert it to an ice pack on water texture... it worked!

GP

Name:	pack_ice.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	63818
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    On a whim, I decided to do a color shift on the above texture and see what I could do to convert it to an ice pack on water texture... it worked!

GP

Name:	pack_ice.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	63818
    Might want to relook at that GP, there's a bit of artifacting/noise on the ice.

I love that lava field! Although the ice has an odd color/noise on the side.

I think I'd be better off creating pack ice texture from scratch in vector, rather than color shifting in Photoshop. Pack ice should be flat on top. (You can see why I prefer vector to an image editor, based on the color noise issue I encountered in Photoshop).
    DrivethruRPG store

Once a demon is summoned, sometimes they won't go back to the Abyss, so a wizard needs another means of binding them. This is the holding cell for the demon, Abyzou - just another use for the lava field.

GP

Name:	demonic-prison.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	63821
    DrivethruRPG store

Nice map, I think my players will have to meet this guy!

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh now you have done it... You mentioned the Abyss (my favorite scary place....) Great Work !!
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.