Thread: Black and White - representing snow?

Default Black and White - representing snow?

Hello

Lately I have tried to develop a style of drawing black and white maps by hand that is simple, broad and yet stylish. Without any digital work at all. Now, thus far it's worked out great but I've arrived at a slight obstacle. How do I represent snow upon the terrain when drawing a black and white map? Snow-covered mountain peak and trees, icy lakes and rivers comes to mind. But how do I make snow pop on fields and open lands?

This is the current map I'm working on. The idea is to have snow in the northern parts of the map, but just keeping it white does not feel enough. Any ideas?

Cheers!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coastasdas.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	4.21 MB 
ID:	63845

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Draw some vague irregular line on the peaks summit that will make people think those are snowy mountains.

Maybe you can do it the other way round? Draw vegetation where there is some and let the sonwy fields white?

If I wanted a specifically snow capped mountain as a hand-drawn element, I would do something like the attached. Basically, I'd draw a line with a lighter touch as a defined "here's where the snow begins". Since I include more surface detail than your maps, I would additionally insure that hatchwork beneath the snowline is heavier and closer together, while any hatchwork above is less, simulating lighter shadows on a lighter surface (snow covered).

GP

Name:	snow-capped.png 
Views:	80 
Size:	10.1 KB 
ID:	63846
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Thanks for the response. But maybe I should have made myself even more clear, silly me. What I meant to ask is how I can represent snow better on fields, plains, open landmasses more or less. Like one can make grassland represented with just a few straws here and there, or barren plains clear by showing the crackled, worn, earth.

Cheers

I would either do, all white, no linework for fields of snow, or as you suggest just a few straws of grass peaking through. While I also do hand-drawn maps, mine are seldom black/white only, rather I do hand-drawn line work, then use a vector application to paint in color and include beveled shapes, shadows and other digital graphics techniques with my hand-drawn work.

I've really got only 2 maps, that was supposed to depict a winter scene and were also hand-drawn as a part. Although I could find the threads, I had to repost those 2 maps below so you can see what I mean. Both maps were from monthly map challenges, here at the guild, though neither of these won.

GP

Name:	iwaizumi-final.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	63851Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yulebloodmap-final-thumb.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	118.4 KB 
ID:	63854
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations