Thread: Fossegrim Lair

Guild Adept Guild Sponsor

Map Fossegrim Lair

I've been experimenting with the techniques in madcowchef's battlemaps in photoshop tutorial. Here's one I just put together, both with and without a grid.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fossegrim-lair.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	64192

Name:	fossegrim-lair-with-grid.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	64193

The textures are all from CGTextures; the trees and shrubs came from the dundjinni forums.

I'm reasonably pleased with it. I like the moody, subdued color palette. The tree in the bottom right may be a tad too dark. HRm. Well, this is getting used in a session later today, so there's no further time to mess with it.

This will be the lair of a greedy fossegrim. He's been circulating false treasure maps in order to lure foolish adventurers to him, so he can add their treasures to his growing hoard.

EDIT: adding some keywords for searchability. D&D Pathfinder map swamp tower forest pond stream.
    Last edited by wdmartin; 05-18-2014 at 02:23 PM.

Nice map, good use of the textures! My only nit-pic is that the rivers edge is to sharp, needs a little blending of the transition from water to land.

Guild Apprentice

Looks good, like Bogie said a riverbank would really help.

Guild Adept Guild Sponsor

I was sooooo certain we would get here today! And then there were just endless random encounters instead. So here's a revised version:

Name:	fossegrim-lair-rev2.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	64214

Name:	fossegrim-lair-with-grid-rev2.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	64215

I've left the vegetation pretty much the same -- it's fairly shallow, and the terrain is flat enough that the plants should be able to grow right up to the edge of the water.

I did add some shadows and highlights to the underwater sections to give them some more depth.

Nice, looks like you adapting a couple techniques to your own look, that's always the best way to do it. I'd consider adding a bit more bevel to your rubble, and maybe the texture option under bevel, your rubble is a bit flat topped right now.