Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kaşık Adası

And, one last update. Added a bit of variation to some of the fonts to prevent them from seeming repetitive, along with fold lines.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Satrapy.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	4.10 MB 
ID:	65669

I believe I am now finished with the digital portion of this map - although I would like to print it out and modify the hardcopy by aging it with tea, distressing the paper, etc.

-Seleucus I

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Llannagh's Avatar

I really like this map!

A few things though:

- the labels clash heavily with the handwritten notes on the map (which, btw, are superb)
    - same goes for the style you chose for mountains: again, the labels that are not handwritten do not fit in
    - in my opinion the sea color, lovely as it may be, doesn't really fit the overall style either, especially if you want to make it look old

If you want to weather the paper etc., have you considered using textures or the dodge tool?

Thanks for you feedback!

The labels and handwriting are intended to clash somewhat - the map is supposed to show handwritten annotations on a printed base map. As regards the mountain brushes clashing with the labels, I am loosely following the style of Sheppard's Historical Atlas (a prime example of which can be seen here) and similar old fashioned maps.

As regards weathering the paper, I am unwilling to do this in Photoshop as although lovely weathering can be done digitally, it looks odd when printed out as the paper itself is not properly aged. I can easily fix this by distressing the paper proper, which will also give more texture to the map.

-Seleucus I

Guild Member

Looks really good! I'm especially loving the handwritten parts, it looks so authentic! As for weathering the paper, I definitely agree it shouldn't be done digitally if you're planning on printing it. Nothing I make ever gets printed so I have a lot of little tricks, but none of it would look even remotely convincing if printed out on a sheet of paper.

This is a very nice map, you have here. I agree with Raziel about the handwritten parts, and the contrast between them is working well. There are a few areas that may be issues.
    -- I agree with Lannagh about the sea colour. Maybe it would be better if the sea was a grey or even brownish hue, especially if the latter looked like the result of aging
    -- I am guessing that this map is not meant to look like later annotations on a digital (I.e. Computer) map, but rather later annotations on an earlier handwritten map. As such, it might be a good idea if you could apply some minor distortions to the elements that look too clean at the moment (the text is a good example, but the first ones I noticed were the sea lines/coast lines). As for how to do this, I'm not equipped to give suggestions. Checking tutorials, or asking around should work.

Hope that doesn't sound negative. I genuinely do really like the style and originality of this map.

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Guild Member

The text does look a bit too crisp to go with the rest of the map style (the non-cursive text, that is. Like the town/city names). You could try giving those text layers a layer mask, and fill the layer mask with black-white rendered clouds (if you're using Photoshop. Not familiar with how GIMP would do this.) It makes the text look a little weathered, like the ink has started to fade a little, like so:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ek4Qvy6.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	65845

Might be absolutely opposite to what you're aiming for, but maybe it's of some use to you. In any case, keep up the good work! =D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12