Thread: Map for fantasy novel

Post Map for fantasy novel

Hi everyone!

I’m currently in the process of editing my novel, and I would love to have a nice-looking map for it. I do have a clumsy and overly colourful map I made in Paint, but a more serious one would be fantastic. I’ll attach the Paint map (but please ignore the red numbers – they’re outdated and unnecessary).

The story has a bit of a renaissance/steampunk setting, although more of the former than of the latter, and is quite dark and mature, with a focus on psychological/sociological themes, apart from the obvious threat to the world. I’m looking for a greyscale map without too many fancy details (a clockwork compass would be a bit too much, for example, although an icon of one would be cool) but with clearly identifiable terrain types, à la the maps of LotR or Daniel Reeve’s Narnia maps. Small landscape additions (irregular coastlines and such) are also welcome.

Quality and size: semi-professional, required for print, size around twice the Paint map.

Time frame: three months (until 31 August). If you can’t make that deadline but would like to make the map, please still feel free to contact me!

I would like reproduction rights to the map, but the artist will retain copyright of the map.

Payment: I'm obviously new to this, so state your price. I'm a student, though, so my budget isn't tremendous.

Contact details:
    treus90-at-gmail-.-com
    (remove ‘-’s and convert ‘at’ to ‘@’)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map of the World.bmp 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	63959  
    Last edited by TimReus; 05-11-2014 at 08:35 AM.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TimReus View Post

Payment depends on the sales of the novel, if any, and I’m willing to pay a percentage of my gains per book sold. That percentage depends on my actual gains per book. Also, I’ll send you a free copy of the book if you’d like that (assuming it gets published). It also depends on whether the map is actually used in the novel: if not, there will be no payment (but if it's a good map, it'll doubtlessly be used).
    Do you really think someone is drawing you a map on such conditions? This is a bad joke, nothing else.

Alright, alright, no need to get all insulting - I'm new to this, as you can see... I'll edit the payment section, then.
    Last edited by TimReus; 05-11-2014 at 07:11 AM.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Don't be too harsh, you know those Commissions keep comming in here. Its sad that artistic work is devalued in a lot of minds. It shouldnt be work that gets thrown out at a whim, but here also are many members, who trained on such maps for literally free. Everybody should jugde in His/Her own whats appropiate. But even so, asuming artists working for a faint promise of something isnt realy apealing.

EDIT:
    @Sapiento:
    You see? We should just talk to the people and explain expectations on booth sides to come to an understanding.
    Last edited by Schwarzkreuz; 05-11-2014 at 07:16 AM.