Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Making a continent in GIMP

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The only thing that I really notice is that lava should be hottest the closer it is to the vent. So the way I do my colors from hottest to coolest is yellow-orange-red-brown-black. This way, the yellow is by the vent and the black is further out. Of course this doesn't always hold true for some of that lava that kind of boils down the side of a hill where it pushes open the leading edge to spill out with more heat. This creates a lava tube so the ends of the lava tube might have some orange. The colors are good, I just think they're backwards...but that's just me. Keep up the good work.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

> Ravells

Yea it probably needs to branch a little bit, but I was running short on time when I made the rivers

> RedRobes

I cant see the movie for some reason

> Ascension

Yea your probably correct. I could probably make a gradient for that, but then it doesnt blend well with the lava at the top. Ill have to experiment tho

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bryguy View Post
    > RedRobes

I cant see the movie for some reason
    Right click and save it to disk and download VLC. I expect that I used the XviD codec so if you really don't want to change player then at least get that codec - its brilliant and worth getting anyway - well so is VLC too. Latter (>=XP) versions of MediaPlayer should play it but you know what M$ are like for sticking to standards...

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Right click and save it to disk and download VLC. I expect that I used the XviD codec so if you really don't want to change player then at least get that codec - its brilliant and worth getting anyway - well so is VLC too. Latter (>=XP) versions of MediaPlayer should play it but you know what M$ are like for sticking to standards...
    im sorry i left some details out...

i cant see it because i need more things for quicktime that cost money that i dont have. Could you maybe somehow upload the movie to youtube?

Quote Originally Posted by bryguy View Post
    im sorry i left some details out...

i cant see it because i need more things for quicktime that cost money that i dont have. Could you maybe somehow upload the movie to youtube?
    VLC (as Redrobes provided a link to) is a free video viewer. No need for quicktime $$

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    VLC (as Redrobes provided a link to) is a free video viewer. No need for quicktime $$

-Rob A>
    yea but whenever i click the link it says the quicktime needs something more for it and it wont show it until i get it

Blog Entries

I treat Quicktime as a virus - no seriously. That and real player get the chop as soon as I get a new PC loaded with that stuff. If you save the AVI file to disk. Run VLC. Go file open and load it up it ought to play it ok. If your on a Mac then I am not so sure what is the standard way to do it or whether VLC has a port for Mac but for Windows I always use VLC for everything. Theres a few others supposed to be good but QT, RealPlayer and MediaPlayer get booted or barred from playing anything. I used to use MediaPlayer until one day I downloaded a movie, played it and it opened IE and a web page half way through with adverts on it - eugh ??? I thought. Close that try again - same point same page. Now cmon, that page could be stuffed with nasties. It made playing a movie as dangerous as going to an unknown web page. Last time it got used I think - several years ago that was too. On a similar story I load in Windows from cold. Get minimal internet going, run IE, download Firefox and never again does IE get to see the light of day. Oh and I have recently dumped Adobe Acrobat now too in favour of FoxIt as thats another broken program i.m.o.

Bit of a rant there but VLC is free, no cost, plays just about everything. Its the de facto video playback in the open source community.

The problem that you have is that you have AVI file type set to open with QT. You ought to be able to change that but just for now, drag the avi into VLC window and it should open and play it.

Heres an updated version of the tutorial. I edited stuff, added stuff, and removed stuff. Hopefully it should be better now
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tried following the tutorial. Some things made more sense the second or third try. However, here is my result. I didn't do clouds or rivers. I may add them later.

The only thing I dislike is that the continent gradient had a very dark color in the middle, which makes some of the land look plain black. I will have to fiddle with the gradient.

Comments and suggestions are more than welcome, as this is honestly the first time I have ever made a map using any software(or pen and paper for that matter)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1st.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	6767  

That looks really good for the first time

If you dont like the dark color for the gradient, then you can try using a lighter color (or colors of your choice) for the gradient. I just gave the gradient color that I used.

But that looks great dude

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast