Thread: The Canyon: topography training with photoshop/wilbur

Default The Canyon: topography training with photoshop/wilbur

Hello folks. the representation of topgraphy in a map is really a cool subject and there's a lot of different ways to represent relief in a map. I'm actually training with a combination of painting some black and white relief shapes in photoshop, rework the shapes in wilbur then use lighting effects on the result in photoshop.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Canyon.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	64773
    I'll be glad to hear feedbacks, particularly if someone had advices on how to paint the different shades of color of the topography, i'm using a gaussian blur on the colors i paint but maybe there is a better way?

Guild Journeyer

it looks alright at the moment, but the colour scheme isn't really working and it needs a bit more contrast
    as for the colours, using filter gallery/brush strokes/accented edges filter often works better than guassian blur (you can even use the reduce noise filter for the same effect), and it doesn't take away the finer details

Hi And thx for the feedback, the colors needs some work i agree. I can't figure out how to use your technique of accented edge to improve the mix of colors, io have tried the filter but with no results.
    With a gaussian blur i have that kind of result

Name:	exempl.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	64786
    And the colors and textures of the map a bit more advanced, the inspiration came from the colorado river

Name:	Canyon.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	64790
    Last edited by Francissimo; 06-08-2014 at 11:02 AM.

Guild Journeyer

If you use 1 on edge width, 25 on edge brightness and turn up the smoothness then you'll see what I mean. The colours also look a lot better.

I like the colors and the details (very nice icons btw !). A minor point : i tend to consider a canyon to be sided by very sharp slopes (almost a cliff each side of the river or bottom) and it don't give this impression imo.
    Nice work anyhow !