Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Battlemaps in Photoshop

First of all thanks for the tutorial as it is very helpful.

Now two mini-requests. Can you explain the reasoning behind the funky brush and how it could possibly translate to gimp?

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

This is great, thank you very much. I gotta say, I'm a big fan of the attention you put into making a mess. I spent some time awhile back sorting out how to get moss growing between cobblestones and piling up debris along the edges of streets so that the locations look used. I was also struggling with how to make walls look crumbly and it looks like you've got a system that works really well. Now I just need someone to post a challenge to build a really messy battle-map to get me working again.

And the leaf scatter, top notch wdmartin!

cheers,
    Meshon

Well I don't know gimp so I'm no use there I'm afraid. As far as the purpose goes its simply to make irregular edges in a controlled fashion. Any method of doing the equivalent would work just as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Avengeil View Post
    First of all thanks for the tutorial as it is very helpful.

Now two mini-requests. Can you explain the reasoning behind the funky brush and how it could possibly translate to gimp?
    In the GIMP tool options tab there are some tools that can do this easily. Just below the brush size and shape tools, you will see ASPECT RATIO. Set this to 0.20 or so for a slightly less rounded brush. Then go down and tick 'APPLY JITTER' and set the amount to between 1.00 and 2.00. This should have the same effect as MAdCow's photoshop brush.
    Last edited by Jacktannery; 06-13-2014 at 03:43 AM.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Great tutorial ! I have spent years learning how to do what you explained so well. Thanks so much for taking the time to share
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

It took me a moment to figure out and after upgrading to 2.8 I understood what you meant. I love the brush changes.

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

This tutorial really spoke to me man! Thanks a lot. I'm not an artist but by using good textures and layer effects I've been able to produce cool maps. There are so few tutorial that apply to battlemaps.

Another question in my ongoing attempt to see what I can use from this tut in my gimp mapping.

What exactly does a layer clipping mask translate to?

I have another question, now that I've made a few for my own use -- what's the best way to do jungle trees? My grass looks pretty good, at least to me, and I just added a pretty nice ocean layer, but the trees for this tutorial look deciduous instead of tropical. Most of the jungle tree patterns I find are profile rather than top down.

Guess I should show my latest work:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BeachBattle01.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	399.7 KB 
ID:	65882

Looks like I could fill in a little more of the ocean up the side, now that I see it again.

Thanks in advance.

Totally awesome tutorial, Madcowchef. One of those threads where I just have to thank you for everything.

I will share my second try with the tips and tricks mentioned on the opening post -- an attempt at copying the first dungeon on DnD 5e's Starter Set, Lost Mine of Phandelver. This is 25x25 squares, 70px each, made for roll20.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Goblin Cave.jpg 
Views:	485 
Size:	2.92 MB 
ID:	66836

Enjoy. Thanks again Madcowchef.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast