Thread: First time making a map

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected elvenboyslut's Avatar

Help First time making a map

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mapattempt_zps5d4111a4.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	63709

So, I'm not really sure what I'm doing, but I figured I'd start with designing the continents. Any critique or advice anyone can give would be wonderful. I really want to learn.

The reason why you got no replies, I think, is that people don't understand what you want to do with this.
    ... what sort of map are you aiming at? Creating a modern world view of a region, creating a medieval looking map for fun or for rpg (which is "for fun" anyway), creating an artistic map with fantasy elements on it, creating a natural setting where you will enjoy imagining a culture and a history...

Without this, sorry to be blunt, all you have are two blobs of ink - can't see much to comment about it. It's not that the shape is terribly wrong or anything, it's just that the direction you want to take this is an important info.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

It may just be two blobs of ink, but it's two really good blobs of ink! The shapes are interesting, they have flow, and a good mix of detailed and smooth coasts. Otherwise, like Pixie, I think I'd need to see a bit more before I can say anything else

I agree with Pixie and Lingon here. We need a bit more details (oceans? rivers? mountains? one more thing at least) to begin to see what you're aiming for (style or backstory). Then, we may be able to advise you. And, for me, your western blob (or continent) has a very interesting shape.

Hmmmm if you've just got the continent shapes to begin with, I usually think about mountain placement next. This will then help with where the rivers go, (generally flowing from the mountains into seas or lakes) The big gulfs and cracks in your landscape could also harbor the mouths of rivers, that looks pretty neat. Afterwards I'd go with forests and then logical steps for settlements. I'm sure there are proper tutorials on settlement placement elsewhere on the forum, but from my high school geography course I can remember the best places for significant cities are those with good access to water as well as dry land for building on, a place that's not to hard to defend and also has good links with other cities. (River crossings and cities on river esturies make great places because of passing trade.) As mentioned before, your backstory and style for the map will influence it too (i.e sci-fi, fantasy, modern day).

Hope this helps and good luck in your mapping endevours!