Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This or that...

Guild Journeyer

Default This or that...

Well, I've been working non-stop for a few hours and I've come up with a final result. However, the result comes in two variations: a coloured, textured version and an (almost) black and white version. My question is, which is better and if neither of them are any good anyway then what do I need to do? Obviously, they're not labelled yet, but I'l post as soon as they are.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coloured test.png 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	63945

Name:	b&w test.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	272.4 KB 
ID:	63946

Depends on what you want to use them for. If this is going to be printed, the B&W version is of course the way to go. For online presentation, the textured version adds more flair.

Both versions look good in their execution, so I wouldn't decide between them. But I'd say that in order to turn them into really good presentable maps, you should add some kind of border.

Guild Journeyer

Thanks. This won't be going into print or anything, so I guess that means I'll be going with the first style - though I'll keep updating the second one so I have two versions (I like to have a couple). I just posted because I felt that the coloured version didn't have enough contrast to be perfectly clear.

I agree, a border would make the map more presentable. As for the color, I personaly love B&W maps.

Guild Journeyer

Personally, I like the colorized version better. To my eye the B&W needs a little more oomph to distinguish land vs. water.

Border would definitely be a plus to both.

Guild Journeyer

Here's the result. Tell me what you think.

Name:	Finished1.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	3.01 MB 
ID:	63976

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NedS298 View Post
    Here's the result. Tell me what you think.

Name:	Finished1.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	3.01 MB 
ID:	63976
    I like it, but the font makes it hard to read. For the city names I'd go with something more plain, and with a thinner black stroke around the letters. Also, the north-east looks a bit barren to me.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wired View Post
    I like it, but the font makes it hard to read. For the city names I'd go with something more plain, and with a thinner black stroke around the letters. Also, the north-east looks a bit barren to me.
    Maybe just Black fonts. I am not a fan of countour fonts on light background anyway. AMkes it harder too read unnessesary

Guild Journeyer

Thanks for that, I'll post when I'm finished. The NE corner of the map was meant to be barren because it was a desert, though perhaps it is too barren. A mountain range would do the trick, I think.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzkreuz View Post
    Maybe just Black fonts. I am not a fan of countour fonts on light background anyway. AMkes it harder too read unnessesary
    Yes, probably works better with that style of map.

Quote Originally Posted by NedS298 View Post
    Thanks for that, I'll post when I'm finished. The NE corner of the map was meant to be barren because it was a desert, though perhaps it is too barren. A mountain range would do the trick, I think.
    A couple of hills, maybe, or just some brush strokes to indicate that it's steppe/a desert would be enough, IMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast