Thread: MOVEABLE MAP - Mystic Island: Known Locations and Schedule

Map MOVEABLE MAP - Mystic Island: Known Locations and Schedule

Behold, Mystic Island, the mysterious, cosmic island that shifts its location about the south Pacific Ocean. Legend tells of a living river of silver on the island.
    The 4, square "windows" in the map display the four known locations of the moving island and the schedule of when it will appear at each. Also at each date, the 3 other windows display a variety of dangers. Readers of the map must have both pieces of the 2-part map, as having only the top, windowed map WILL show the locations, but wont show what is at each spot at a given time of year. This could mean doom if a Capt. choose the wrong spot at the wrong time of year. And having the lower disc portion would provide no information except what the dangers are-not when or where they will be.
    How long the island stays at each location varies and is completely unpredictable, prompting the sailing vessels searching for it to make haste as the date of it's appearance approaches. Ships are advised to carry ropes long enough to reach from ship to shore. Should a crew find the island and go ashore, they must tie the ship off to the island itself. If they do not, the ship will be left behind should the island suddenly disappear, taking with it any crew on shore, and basically marooning them.
    Five more windows cut into the map, display a starry night sky filled with planets and galaxies that slide continuously as the arm moves around the map.

The map measure 12"x16" and is hand drawn on grocery bag with graphite, ink, and oil pencils. The disc apparatus is the same as above but also uses a cereal box and bent steel wire.
    This was so fun to do and has sparked numerous plans for upcoming projects.

A couple side notes:
    As I was plotting the Lat/Long. I choose a place on my globe that has all the geographic features obscured by the globe logo and scale. Nearing completion of the piece, I looked at different "real earth" maps of the area I had mapped and discovered that the real Easter Island (Rapa Nui) lay directly between my 2 fictional islands; Graybeard I. and Faraway I.
    Pitcairn I. also showed up almost directly under the finder arm hub.
    Kalimatos (far western edge) is a land mass roughly the size of Tasmania, that at the time of mapping, was solid. It is now broken into hundreds of small islands by volcanic activity.
    The scale is nearly exact; i.e. mileage on the scale to distance between lat. and long.

I will try to figure out how to post a GIF of the map as the arms spins around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mystic winter.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	959.8 KB 
ID:	63953   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mystic spring.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	63954   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mystic summer.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	63955   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mystic autum.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	63956   mystic island.pdf  

mystic disc.pdf  
    Last edited by Maker of the Way; 05-11-2014 at 05:35 AM.

Hey gang, any criticisms or feedback on the moveable map concept is appreciated.

Looks like an excellent idea, but I have little to add.

Map Moveable Map- GIF attached- Mystic Island: known locations and schedule

Moveable map you say? Disappearing island you say?? Well let's see it move.
    I know what you mean, and I finally had some time to devote to figuring out, on Photoshop, how to make a GIF.
    So here is a GIF file showing movement of the pointer arm to one of the 4 seasonal points (summer) as Mystic Island disappears from one location and then appears at another, while a star filled night sky and rolling wave sea can be seen sliding in the cutouts in the map.
    Sorry for the small size but had to squish it to be small enough (file size) to post. Just wanted to get some video of the concept realized, and in live moving action.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moving-Mystic-summer-tiny.gif 
Views:	96 
Size:	4.51 MB 
ID:	64437

For better detail of the map, the story behind the island, and the moving features disk, please refer to the album in my profile (or earlier in the this post- I'm not sure if this will post as a new thread, or reply to my original post.)

I've been thinking of expanding the idea, on an upcoming map, to include a couple cogs under the map so that 2 feature disks will turn as the arm is spun. Any suggestions on a theme?

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

SO AMAZINGLY AWESOME! Wow, that looks... extremely satisfying. Great work, by all means keep at it.

You could use this concept (especially with your double cog idea) for all kinds of things. A planetary alignment chart for figuring out that special day, to an instrument panel for some huge arcane machine that has to be set just so... I'm really hoping you keep making this kind of thing, it's really cool. Also, mechanical aspects aside, I really like the map.

cheers,
    Meshon

Thank you so much Meshon. Your feedback is so greatly appreciated (it's been sparse on this project.)
    This idea just took on a life of its own.
    Thanks for the great ideas for a concept/theme for my next one using this concept. I love the star chart idea especially.
    I'll post another GIF soon of the pointer moving to another position.

If you're going to do great gears on the map, you could make them 'real' and have the whole world operate by clockwork or steam or such. Or the moving could just 'happen' and the great gears of the underworld are an imagined reason for the mobility.

I'm reminded both of Xanth, and of Dr Dolittle. Yours is unique though - I like it a bunch.

If you need movement, then stationary a while, then movement again, look up interrupted-gear mechanisms. Cool stuff.

Thanks jbG, really great ideas... The gears are turning. Haha