Thread: I need help with a map for a fantasy novel I'm writing.

Default I need help with a map for a fantasy novel I'm writing.

So, I've been writing a fantasy novel for about a year now. I got about 27 chapters in when I went back to read what I had. Let's just say it was BAD. So I restarted. I'm currently in the middle of chapter 9. I went back to read what I have a few days ago and it was MUCH better than the original. But there's something I should have before I continue writing: A map. When I read what I had, I realized that I need something to reference to when I'm looking for where to take my characters. I've already made a rough draft of what I want it to be like. If you want to help, send me an email at aaron__13@hotmail.com (2 underscores). I'll send you a file of the map and possibly give you a bit of background of the story that takes place in it. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Land Ashultra Takes Place In (regions).jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	63970  

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Could you shortly describe the style and size you wish for your map? Also Deadline and Budget will be of interest for possible mappers who may wish to aply. Please have a look into my portfolio.

I'm pretty new to this, so you'll have to forgive me if I don't completely understand a few things.
    I want the size to be maybe 1800x1600 or 2000x1600. It has to be something large enough to see what it is, but something small enough to print.
    I don't really have a deadline, but sooner is always better than later.
    Budget... that's something that will require thought/discussion. I can't give a direct answer to that just yet.
    Could you define "style" for me real quick?
    Last edited by Rokushon; 05-11-2014 at 09:26 PM.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rokushon View Post
    I'm pretty new to this, so you'll have to forgive me if I don't completely understand a few things.
    I want the size to be maybe 1800x1600 or 2000x1600. It has to be something large enough to see what it is, but something small enough to print.
    I don't really have a deadline, but sooner is always better than later.
    You'll have to make that decision, though. Start any grafics program you might have and take a look at the sizes. Usually you'll have ways to change between size in pixels and size in centimeters/inches. That should give you a useful baseline for what you want regarding the eventual print size.
    Budget... that's something that will require thought/discussion. I can't give a direct answer to that just yet.
    Again, you'll have to be candid about that. "I haven't made up my mind" won't cut it with most professionals or even amateurs here. There are enough members of this board - Schwarzkreuz and Sapiento come to mind, but there's tons of others - who do this at least in part to pay their bills. Some do it full time. That means they'll need some point of reference, financially and regarding the time allotted for the project, to eventually be of service to you. Protip: nobody's going to work for an eventual share of the potential profits.

Edit: That being said, if you'd give us a more concrete idea of what you're looking for chances are you'll find someone willing to do this at a reasonable price point, if only because it'd be training for them, depending on the desired style. But we'll be honest to you: nobody will create you a detailed continental/world map for a commercial project for free.
    Could you define "style" for me real quick?
    Colored, black and white pencil, tolkien-esque, 18th century realism, modern style... Take a gander through the "Finished Maps" subforum and check out the profiles of people like Sapiento, Schwarzkreuz et al. for examples. If you have any questions we'll certainly try our best to answer them.
    Last edited by Wired; 05-12-2014 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Added some info. Probably came across to confrontational initially.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Thanks for your reply Wired.

While posting a request, it is indeed best for all, the requester and teh mapmakers to have some clear ideas. If there are non yet, we are also here to give a slice of advice.
    If you are looking for a Posterprint sizes like A3/A2/Tabloid may be usefull. If its for a Novel, that also must be concidered so that the fonts are readable on the small book size. All images should be delivered in 300DPI or better, so print is smoothly.

About payment: Each Cartographer has his own working agenda, some are working more professional, and are payed regarding their experiences and skills highter than other members. SOmetimes their are otehrs willing to make a map very cheap or even free, but judge yourself, what budget will bring you what kind of quality.

I hope that could help you a bit?

I'll help, but I do not use programs. I only hand-draw my maps old fashioned style. You'll have to decide if you prefer a program, or hand drawn. My map will be on your standard 11.5"X8" paper, scanned through a printer attached to an e-mail. Or I could mail it to you, and it'd be a little more professional looking...(age worn, burnt etc...) the more fancy you'd want me to make it the price would go up. If you just want a quick map, with some details and names and e-mailed in an attachment I would do that for free.

Thank you everyone that sent me an email. I'm purely astonished at how many people were willing to help. I no longer need people to offer me assistance, though. I have plenty of options to choose from, each one seeming very promising.
    Also, Schwarzkreuz and Wired, thank you for guiding me through the ideal way to request a map here on the Cartographers' Guild. I'll be sure to take that advice into mind should I ever need assistance with a map in the future.
    Again, thank you everyone.
    Best of luck with whatever you may be working on.