Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP: unnamed Earh-like planet

Yes, like with the coastline it's pretty random.

Thanks for your input Azelor. I guess I'll try to work a bit more with the current technique but modifying stuff manually to try to get something more natural.

My comment wasn't very constructive. I'm still not sure how to go about this process. A lot of people use different random techniques or go with ''ill keep the landmass because it look nice''. Unlike climates for example, there is often very little logic/science in land placement.

I think you were going in a better direction with your old heightmap, groovey. All the effort through tectonics and climate, and all the thought you want to put into settlements and coherent history, kind of get thrown out of the window with such a "random" process. Here's my humble suggestion: turn all your heightmaps (old and new) into grayscale layers, set them to multiply, it will get a little more chaotic and, in some way, respect the tectonics of your old heightmap... (I think). You can also try to use Wilbur (dunno if you tried it already) to get some river valleys.

As for colors, I prefer your third option. But, let me thrown in a handy pic...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	homemade_ipsometric_tints.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	74061
    Using the colorpicker, you can make a palette with as many colors as you need.

Don't worry Azelor, your opinion was useful nevertheless.

Pixie, I'll definitely try what you suggest, hopefully when I have free time again next weekend, since for now I'm too busy with a temporary job.

Thanks guys, for giving me some direction.

Hi Pixie, I just wanted to let you know I did try to try your suggestion but I'm definitely missing something to make it do anything and I'm still trying to figure out what is it.

So I'm experimenting a bit almost each day, because I really hate my old height-maps, but I never get anything good, even when trying to arrange the blobs manually. I'll keep trying at least for a bit.

I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread! Sorry for not contributing anything worthwhile, but I'd like to add that quite a Paradox games fan as well

I'm trying to understand all of this, tectonic movements, mountain ranges, climate and everything in between, but damn it's hard! I wish there was some YouTube videos that explained it all well

Hi Vidgange! The science part of world construction is very hard for me too and I can't say I succeed too often, but it's kind of fun trying.

For one week I've intermittently worked on a new height-map and today I've finished it, I hope. I used my last technique of render clouds + posterize, but much more controlled these time, working one area at a time and then fixing stuff manually and applying the color manually instead of with gradients, since I can't make it work like I want it to. I also redid the shelves.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03. HEIGHT MAP 26AGO15 (WITH SHELVES & LEYEND).jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	3.26 MB 
ID:	75658

The palette I got 100% from this beautiful map of laevex_esre

A few things to consider:

1. I've tried to match the tectonic info, but I've given up on super accuracy. A decent amount of it will do for me

2. I couldn't make it look pretty if my life depended on it, so I've also settled for the simplistic layering with no effects.

3. Yes, the little islands are half-assed, I don't really care much for them

4. The humongous mountain range in the top middle of the continent on the top right is caused by two continental plates colliding, so it's very high. I checked how the Himalayas are represented in height-maps and what I got is: flat and wide. Of course it looks horrible when I tried to apply the same logic, but again, I don't care if it ugly, as long and in represents the info decently enough.

How does it work? Does it make any sense?
    Last edited by groovey; 08-26-2015 at 10:18 AM.

Hey groovey, nice height map you have there!

I wouldn't worry about layering effects and such. It's quite clear where your heights and plains are.

About that high mountain range: it looks like the slope gradient is more or less the same all around. Is this intentional or not? I'm wondering if this would happen in reality. To me it's quite relevant because I also have a continent where two tectonic plates smash into each other. I created a long mountain range with a steep eastern side and a more slowly descending western side (actually with other, older mountain ranges on it).

It also seems that many of your coastal areas drop down quickly to the sea (some even from 2000 to 3000 metres). It strikes me that many height levels are not completely surrounded by lower levels. Any reason why you chose to do it like this?

I love the colours that indicate the ocean depths. I see that some parts have intricately formed borders while others have more "flowing" lines. Do those two kinds of borders have different properties?

I must say that I really like the aspect of your map, especially the colours. I think I'll have a look what such colours would do with my planet's appearance

Cheers - Akubra
    “I am an agnostic on most matters of faith, but on the subject of maps I have always been a true believer. It is on the map, therefore it is, and I am.”
    ― Tony Horwitz, One for the Road: An Outback Adventure

Hi Akubra! Thanks for stopping by.

The reason why the big mountain range slope is uniform is because of the technique I used to do the layering, which was quick and lazy since I wasn't sure how to go with it. I might revise it this weekend if I have time.

Yes, many coastal areas drop high. Perhaps I have too many of those. EDIT: yes, lots of them, I'll have to do lots of slight adjusments on the weekend.

The reason why the shelves (light blue) are smooth in one side and rough in another is because there's tectonic subduction going on, so the shelves have to end where the two plates meet and I figured they'd get smooth while they we're getting chewed.

I'm glad the palette from Etarek works for me too, I quite like it a lot.
    Last edited by groovey; 08-26-2015 at 11:02 AM.

Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast