Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Variously WIP] Maps of Telluris

OK - so, first off, thanks for the feedback. I haven't made many maps since May due to computer issues, but I got a new computer a couple of weeks back and have been looking to make some adjustments based on the comments. This also gave me a chance to look at some of the maps which inspired my interest in cartography in the first place - Willem Blaeu, John Speed, the Catalan Atlas and, thanks to my parents, the Blaeu Atlas Major.

This is the latest one. It's not finished yet, particularly around the borders, and some neatening up, and more colouring on the ships and cartouche, needs to happen, but this is the sort of direction I've taken things in. I put the labelling in first in most cases, so the terrain features can sit around the lettering; I've done borders and rivers in a different style to make them more visually distinct (on the AQUA map there's actually only one river, but the borders look like rivers). I've tried to introduce some colour to offset the heraldry, and moved the heraldry to the border where at some point I'll try to put a proper border around it - I'm not artistically capable enough to draw those pictures of national dress that sit around the edge of early modern maps, so the heraldry will have to do. I'll also add some rhumb lines at some point once I've worked out a decent way to create them, and probably some more rivers.

I'd like for the maps to have more density of detail, and put more settlements on, like the maps I've used for inspiration, but since most of the maps I'm doing are for regions other people have designed (and because the world being mapped has a very low population density), that's not up to me so much. I could put more trees on, but I think less is more to an extent there. I'll try to encourage it in future, though, and will add some more settlements in the southeastern corner of this map where it is at least partly up to me.

Guild Journeyer

It's nice, but the borders seem slightly messy and there isn't much going on on the left side. That seems to take away the balance a bit, so work on that and it'll be a fair bit better straight away.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12