Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Argentia Topographica | The World of Naos

Default Argentia Topographica | The World of Naos

It has been quite some time since I last posted! Recently I've been getting back into mapping, starting with a new world for an TTRPG setting I've been working on. I've been really trying to nail down the Pergamon Atlas look, and I think I'm getting close.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	post_process_test_copy.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	132742

Guild Journeyer Impractical Cartographer's Avatar

A tactical comment to observe this thread.
    I'm very curious to see how you fill out this map. Keep up the good work!

Really wanted to have the cities and roads done by this point, but my project file got corrupted and my last backup was a little old so I had to redo a fair bit of work. Ah well. Bless ArcGIS's labelling engine here—I'd hate to do these by hand.

Name:	post_process_test copy.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	2.94 MB 
ID:	132786

Also added in some bathymetry, though I'm not terribly happy with it. I may break my method and actually try hand drawing it something for once. How hard could it be?...

I love this kind of map! I think the issues with your bathymetry may be that it's not as detailed as the rest and it doesn't seem to be the continuation of the overall topography? But maybe I'm missing out on a thing or two!
    My website (commissions open)
    My LinkTree (to find me everywhere)

Quote Originally Posted by Eowyn Cwper View Post
    I love this kind of map! I think the issues with your bathymetry may be that it's not as detailed as the rest and it doesn't seem to be the continuation of the overall topography? But maybe I'm missing out on a thing or two!
    No, that's definitely part of it! I didn't spend as much time piecing together well-defined bathymetry from the source data as I did the topography, and my bathymetry DEM is only 16k x 8k (world), whereas the elevation DEM is 40k x 20k. I just need to spend some more time on it!

I see! Bathymetry can be quite confusing like that!
    My website (commissions open)
    My LinkTree (to find me everywhere)

Nearly wrapped up with the transport layer. Also added 1st order administrative divisions, which I've never done before so that was fun. Dark red is roads (no differentiation between primary and secondary at this point, though the technology of this world is early industrial, so there probably should be some more emergent highway/turnpike type roads). Also made some tweaks to the topography color scheme that I think make it stand out a bit more. I think there was too much green in the lower levels before.

Name:	post_process_test copy.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	3.17 MB 
ID:	132807

Next up is actually finishing the bathymetry...

I really dig the new colour scheme
    Instagram - @ftwinckless | YouTube - FT Cartography | Website - freddiewinckless.wordpress.com

I think the new color scheme is much nicer! What is the elevation range you're depicting?

Quote Originally Posted by MrBragg View Post
    I think the new color scheme is much nicer! What is the elevation range you're depicting?
    Thanks!

I actually started making a legend today because I always put that off for some reason:

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	59 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	132810

So what's depicted here tops out at about 1300 meters.
    Last edited by morne; 02-18-2022 at 03:54 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast