Thread: Ylan

Guild Applicant

Map Ylan

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ylan_v06-01.png 
Views:	221 
Size:	3.74 MB 
ID:	69936

My first serious fantasy map and first post after discovering this great site last week.

This is a map for an upcoming RPG campaign that is set in the world of the Riryia Revelations series by Michael J. Sullivan. The campaign will be set about 3000yrs before the books take place at the rise of the First Empire. I've taken significant liberties with the geography so it is definitely not canon.

The map was made using L3DT, Photoshop and Illustrator. I've never used L3DT before this, but it didn't turn out too bad for creating the height field map. I took that map into Photoshop and created the shaded relief which was worked quite a bit to get a more painterly feel. From there it was into Illustrator to finish up the rest. It took about 3 days to get most of it done and then about 4 days just tweaking it here and there as I've written the campaign and noticed things I didn't like. I've created overlays for climate and scaled hex grid. Next up will be an Underworld map from this base.

I'd love to hear feedback on areas that I could improve it.

I also want to say thank you to all here for inspiring me to dive in and start creating my own maps.

Banned User

Hello crapitecture, welcome to the Guild!

Quite a nice effort for a first post map!

Did one of the programs generate the rivers or did you do those by hand? They are quite well done.

The coastlines are far too squarish, not sure what caused that, but perhaps higher resolution would help.

I'll look forward to your next map! Have some rep!

Guild Applicant

Thanks Chick.

The rivers are all done by hand.

I agree on the coastlines. At first I was going for a more graphic/abstract style, but I think roughening up the coastlines and adding more detail there would help.