Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIP- Valgard v2.0

Default WIP- Valgard v2.0

Hey all! I figured it may be a good idea to star a fresh thread rather than revive an old one (originally started here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/re...1-valgard.html ) It's been many months since I have updated, and there has been a lot of stuff going on personally that have trumped map making. I've been lurking here, but haven't felt much up to posting until recently. Anyhoo, Valgard has been evolving, and taken on a lot more depth internally (story wise and character wise) As such, I wanted to reflect that with an updated version. Without further ado:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Valgard-Map.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	64060

The continents, etc have more or less the same positioning, but have different shapes which reflect more of what the story or the world tells. Westward, you'll see a large part of that continent taken over by "The Veil". This area serves to create a rigid definition between the east and west parts of the landmass that I wanted, but didn't really have originally. That isn't the only reason it's there, and serves a purpose story wise that I can elaborate more on later. Indeed, you'll see a lot of shifts that have happened that are mainly for story reasons. Right now, however, I am mostly interested in comments and questions, and any input any of you may have. I would really like to add topography, but as you can see from the old thread I am a bit wishy washy on how to represent it. Thanks!

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Actually i liked this version more. Also prefered the ealier frame/border.

Quote Originally Posted by Failtality View Post
    I actually played around with some of your ideas yesterday, and to some interesting effect.

Attachment 59496

I think it looks interesting, but may not 100% fit in with the style, so may hold off on using it. Like I said, I LOVE the effect though. Great idea!

Ah, you mean the diamond like one for the border? I don't dislike that one, but I am more partial to the red color of my newer version. I may play around with it because I'm not committed to it one way or the other as far as the pattern goes. I know the one effect you mentioned was a big hit and I think it really is a cool one- but still not one that I feel like fits into the groove of my style in that iteration. I loved the diagonal line effect though, so you can see I left it in as a texture on the landmasses. I appreciate your feedback! The feel of my world is still art deco-fantasy, and it was never intended to go as Gothic as it may have looked.
    Last edited by Failtality; 05-15-2014 at 07:49 PM.

Heh, funny, this is developing in very big jumps...(which is interesting, so not meant as a critic) For myself, i like the new landshape of the righthand continent(s) better in this version, but, the lefthand continent(s) version of the old map...i know, complicated, right?!

Have a Like.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Hey, thanks! I agree he left hand continent isn't optimal. I've been trying to play around with different options. I'll look into what I can do for it... I hadn't tried outright putting the old shape in its place, but it is a thought thanks again!

Played around with the right continent a bit. Took some bits and pieces from the old shapes and adapted it for some of the weight balance (for lack of a better phrase) to keep the same sort of balance. Also changed the background pattern, which fits a lot better, and I personally think looks good in red.

Name:	Valgard-Map.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	64155

Hmmm...not sure i like the new continent-shape better... ... ... i think i'd prefer the first map of this thread to the second atm.
    But, if you're up for it, try to copy the old lefthand continent from the other thread in, just to look how it looks. I'd be curious

The frame is better in the second map, i agree.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Name:	valv2change.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	604.9 KB 
ID:	64175

I tested it out, and I don't know... it looks sort of weird to me... I think my main complaint is it doesn't have the bulk in the right places.

EDIT:
    here is a best of both worlds scenario, maybe:

Name:	valv2change2.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	490.4 KB 
ID:	64176
    Last edited by Failtality; 05-17-2014 at 02:37 PM.

I agree with you. The last one is the best shape.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I still like the black version you did the best. That thing was just sexy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast