Thread: Brunei, Sarawak and North Borneo - commission map

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Map Brunei, Sarawak and North Borneo - commission map

Hi everyone,

I was commissioned a few weeks ago by an australian student to make maps for his thesis " The Brunei Rebelion of 1962". The idea was to depict the decline of Brunei and the rise of Sarawak and North Borneo all over the 19th century and the client wanted some maps that could look like to some that you could find in an atlas of this era. It was the opportunity to use the atlas style that I lately developed on Central Uralien map. To avoid to clutter a map with the borders evolution (since the maps are pretty small), we decided to go on 8 different maps, spread on 4 sheets, showing the chronological changes of territory borders. I merged them in 2 displays to upload them here.

Hope you'll like it. As usual, feel free to rate, rep or run away

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brunei display1.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	3.47 MB 
ID:	64356 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brunei display2.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	3.49 MB 
ID:	64357
    Last edited by - Max -; 05-23-2014 at 03:58 AM.

I keep loving this style : fantasy or history, it works all the same! If I my rep power wasn't downed... well, you know

I am a little undecided. I also do love this style, and I think you have done very well in bringing over the flair.

But there are some, more or less minor, details that reduce my enthusiasm for this particular work. Of course, if your commisioner is happy with it, who am I to critisize? But nonetheless...

First of all I would disagree with your basic decision to "avoid to clutter a map with the borders evolution". Showing changing borders, by a differentiation in hatching or colouring, would be a lot better suited to show the "rise" and "decline". Two or three maps would have been sufficient, and would have kept the "clutter" at a minimum.

Second, I think that the placement and style of the map-grid labels right in the border was a bad choice. It breaks up the overall image and draws unnecessary attention to the border, away from the map.

Third, you re-used paper textures for half of the maps. Perhaps it is only noticeable because of the way they are grouped here, but it should not be noticeable at all!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Thank you guys

Quote Originally Posted by Freodin View Post
    First of all I would disagree with your basic decision to "avoid to clutter a map with the borders evolution". Showing changing borders, by a differentiation in hatching or colouring, would be a lot better suited to show the "rise" and "decline". Two or three maps would have been sufficient, and would have kept the "clutter" at a minimum.
    This isn't my own decision. The client had a reference map that shows all the evolution in it and she wasn't satisified of the legibility of it and clearly asked for separate maps. My first proposal was 1 basic map and 2 maps showing the evolution. At the end I respected her choice to spread more maps with simple work on each one. I guess it serves the purpose of her work better.

Quote Originally Posted by Freodin View Post
    Third, you re-used paper textures for half of the maps. Perhaps it is only noticeable because of the way they are grouped here, but it should not be noticeable at all!
    It is indeed more noticeable because I made the 4 maps displays. Since you'll have to turn pages on the document to see the maps, I don't think it's really a problem.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

As I know his other regular Work for historical maps, I must say, that this works for me. There is always a balance between the artistic optimisation (different papers etc.) and its final Use in a Project/Product. Same as with the Tenebrae Maps, I wouldnt go this exact way with teh maps, but it fullfills its taks and looks fine.