Thread: Traverse (Journey) map

Post Traverse map (side scroll)

The idea here is such:

Imagine a scroll of regular paper height, but ten feet long. The scroll has one wooden rod on each end for the scroll to wrap around. This scroll when unrolled depicts a journey from location to destination accompanied by key landmarks and points of interest along the way. A side'scroller' if you will.

Cheers,
    Cuin
    Last edited by Cuin; 05-16-2014 at 01:21 PM.

This idea was inspired by a map I saw in a museum many years ago. I could not find exactly what I had seen on exhibit, but I found this example, which similarly depicts a common route. In this case from Edo to Nagasaki (ca. 1720).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gm044001.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	64134

Cheers,
    Cuin

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Mapping a journey has been already done in a challenge.

Explicitly the idea isn't so much about mapping a journey, but mapping in profile view (side scroller type) opposed to the traditional map view (bird's eye).
    I see now the thread for the journey challenge, but all of these maps are in map view.

A traverse map is most natural for a journey, but is not restricted to a journey, so I edited the title of this post. This challenge is intended to work a skill set of landscapes applied to mapping. I can't find any examples of this, but if it has been done can somebody provide the link?

Cheers,
    Cuin

You mean an itinerary, with point A to point X with everything interesting and important between the two, in a long panoramic or elevation drawing layout? That sounds like an excellently wonderful challenge to participate in!
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram