Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIP - Området kring Virstad/Virstavik

Default WIP - Området kring Virstad/Virstavik

Hi!

This is a map I'm creating for my RP-world. It's nothing fancy, I mostly wanted to work in a style that is somewhat out of my comfort zone.
    Tell me what you think, and if you have any improvements.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VirstadVirstavik.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	579.6 KB 
ID:	64132

What is that lighter 'blue' around Virstavik mean? I can see 2 countries (based on colors) identified in the map, as well as the island. If you've chosen not to describe the other nations of the same color as the island, why is the island named, but nothing else surrounding it (in green). I assume you're not finished yet, so that could explain the lack of other nations. Still my question about the light blue stands. It looks like a good start, but its hard to judge without seeing more progress.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

The two colored areas are cities.

Virstad/Virstavik is a divided city, so I can see why it looks like countries. I'm thinking that Virstavik "feathers out", so that's why I have the lighter blue around it.

I haven't gotten names for everything yet, so that's why I only have names on Virstad, Virstavik and Mit Lefe.

I decided that I needed more room around the cities to have the map make any sense, so I more or less remade the entire map. I liked the style though!

Name:	Virstad2.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	64169

I have some problems with labeling though. Right now mostly with the forest (Ailakoti). I don't think it looks good, and it looks out of place. Any tips?

I added some villages, roads and a bit of terrain. It looks a little out of place though, what do you think?

Name:	Virstad2-Recovered.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	64211

I like the general feel of it and the tonalities. It reminds me a bit of an impressionist painting, which I love.

I'm afraid I don't have anything helpful to add though, since I myself haven't been able to complete a map successfully, I'm a noob. The only humble personal appreciation I could add is that the way cities are represented may be a bit confusing. Just like Gamerprinter, I though they were countries, specially in contrast with the villages, that are represented as icons. But the map needs to suit your needs and personal preferences, so if you need it or want it to be that way, that's good.

Default WIP - Området kring Virstad/Virstavik

I have to agree with gamer and groovey, perhaps an icon/icons similar to the villages but possiy larger would help tie the theme together?

I tried a solution, and it looks better! There's still a lot of things left (labeling, labeling)... After that I think that my own notes will suffice (where caves and camps and such are)

What do you think. I'm kinda sceptical towards the orange colour though.

Name:	Virstad2-Recovered.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	64283

While the "impressionist" style is just fine for the physical features of the map, the same can’t be said about the cities, (especially the bigger ones, because you can’t tell at all that the two wider spots are cities).
    To make them more recognizable as cities, given that their size is quite large compared to the map, perhaps I would venture to draw their subdivisions and maybe their walls.

I have to agree with everything that's been said: I love the almost watercolor-like style, but it is hard to pick out that those are cities. You have chosen a golden yellow to represent the other urbations, why not use it in the city too and show the divided nature some other way? Or just add some crosshatched lines to show streets?

I just think you have to make it more obvious that those are cities. otherwise (especially as I don't speak the language) i just can't tell intuitively what the blue and green patches are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast