Thread: Lost in mountains!

Help Lost in mountains!

I'm planning to re-do my nightfall map (I hope that I don't bother everyone with my multiple remakes btw !), but I can't get a result that satisfies me completely...

Just a reminder : Nightfall is a kind of weird world, and as in a post-apocalyptic world, everything outside cities is strange and weird. I originally wanted to do each mountains zones very differently.

Here are my tests so far : on the right, a drawn version and the middle, the same mountains "redone" digitally.
    On the left, two other kind of drawn mountains, more "sharp", dark and more hatched ones.
    The digital effect is nice but too "cartoony" to my taste, and the other mountains don't fit really well in ranges...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	themountainq.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	329.9 KB 
ID:	64133
    Any preference? And before all, any advices to improve those or make better ones?

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

I like the middle ones the most actually, but yeah, it's a little cartoony and I guess that's not what you're aiming for here. Of the other styles, I think the top right is my favorite, not sure why actually but it just looks good! Why don't you like how they look in ranges?
    I love the forests by the way

By Lingon
    but yeah, it's a little cartoony and I guess that's not what you're aiming for here
    Exactly, it looks more appropriate for a "warcraft map" than a dark fantasy land...

Why don't you like how they look in ranges?
    It lacks of a "barrier" feeling and I suppose it's too "round" compared to what I want (not sure, though, that's hard to explain).

I love the forests by the way
    Thanks, that's also a test. I'm doodling on that and may try a forest made of one block (not of single trees).

Ok, I think I will go with something like this. It has a more "barrier" feeling, imo. And since I dropped the Nightfall remake for another map (that will be useful soon for gaming), so, I may use it for the new one.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mountain q2.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	64222

What do you think of it?

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Yes, i prefer this not solid shadings more.