Thread: Current project - Need suggestions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Current project - Need suggestions

What started out as an example map for my heightmaps became a project. Most of it done, However I still feel like its lacking something... Dunno what it is though =\
    **The current typo is temporary. changing it out once I get labeling done**

Perhaps adding roads might help?

Damn, it's absolutely gorgeous! How did you do that? The terrain, the texture, the colors... I love them. I suppose it's not your first map, but what a great map to be your first posted in the guild.

I'm checking out your Mountain Heighmaps technique now, because I think it'll be very handy for me in the near future, but how did you do the terrain textures and the forest areas? And those rivers, are they hand-drawn?

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

I'd say it's lacking something that really stands out. It does look lovely, but all colors are in the green-brown range. A little more blue in the ocean would go a long way, I think.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Carbus's Avatar

Lovely map! I would go with what Lingon said, try to add a bit more of contrast, and IMHO I think the texture is a bit to strong, try to lower it a bit so that the rest of the map (the forests, ocean, etc) can be more appreciated and visible! Other than that, great work on those mountains and landmass.

Personally, I like the colours and the main texture. Gives it a feel of the old Ultima cloth maps.

Well done!

While I find the land features and the colors in general really good, I'm not particularly fond of your rivers. The longest ones seem to me a bit too “drawn” as regards to the overall style of the map; especially the northern one, which is also not flowing into the sea.

If you want to give more life to the whole map, perhaps you could add a compass rose and a legend and maybe some shield - flag.