Thread: May 2014 Entry: The Hand - Or, the Mapped Realms and Lands of Our Bountiful Empire

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected The Marked Hat's Avatar

Default May 2014 Entry: The Hand - Or, the Mapped Realms and Lands of Our Bountiful Empire

AKA, I'm back with a decidely non-fancy but most certainly creative (ish) map.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hand Map.png 
Views:	96 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	64153

No, it isn't overly fancy, but I like to think it's creative. Yes, it's inconsistent, imperfect, and relatively undetailed at the moment. But it exists, and it's my first real map put on the forum since 2012. Hello again, not sure if you remember me.

--The Marked Hat
    --The Marked Hat--

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

I'm guessing this is an orc view of the world? I was trying to figure out if there was a clue in the title, but I only got Mr. Lobe which doesn't help me much. I like the concept; can you think of a way to make it look less like an orc did it on a computer? Maybe even just shades of brown on light brown. I hope you do a little more, it would be good to see! Also something went wrong with your fill in the letters there.

cheers,
    Meshon

Nice to see you back Hat! Yeah what's the story behind this map? It certainly looks like a monster map alright but it would be good to know more about it.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected The Marked Hat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Meshon View Post
    I'm guessing this is an orc view of the world? I was trying to figure out if there was a clue in the title, but I only got Mr. Lobe which doesn't help me much. I like the concept; can you think of a way to make it look less like an orc did it on a computer? Maybe even just shades of brown on light brown. I hope you do a little more, it would be good to see! Also something went wrong with your fill in the letters there.

cheers,
    Meshon
    Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Nice to see you back Hat! Yeah what's the story behind this map? It certainly looks like a monster map alright but it would be good to know more about it.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    I'm afraid that it's going to stay as it is; the computer I'm using freezes often, especially when I'm using my image tool of choice, Paint.NET.

Also; there's actually nothing wrong with the fill, I just forgot to fill it in with sea, so it's transparent, and the color of the forum goes through it. Oops.

So, anyway, the story. Basically, it's an extremely primitive land, and the maps are, as a result, primitive and simple. If colorful. The land is actually shaped like that, and because of the south-most mountain range, they mostly exist there only. Albeit there are sometimes strange noises on the other side of the mountains...

The Hand is very dis-conductive to technology; metal is rare and expensive, in any form, and many near-sea areas are swamps and marshes. So, it's sort of a land of Neanderthal-alikes.

The idea for it was inspired (obviously) by my hand and also by the land of Foo in the Leven Thumps series. That's... all, really.
    --The Marked Hat--