Thread: The Realm - A W.I.P. Map for my Fantasy Story

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected The Marked Hat's Avatar

Wip The Realm - A W.I.P. Map for my Fantasy Story

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Agate & New Twan.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	64154

Containing the area commonly known as "The Agate," though in truth it consists of three independent countries, The Agate, New Twam, and Newas.

The Agate, incorporating the Far Reaches, the North, the Mountainlands, the Jadelands, the Richlands, the Ingram Islands, and other islands, some of which I have not mapped. To be used in my fantasy book, influenced by the Song of Ice and Fire series.

Missing from this map -- the continent of Varone and its cities, the continent of Melagos and its cities.

Feedback welcomed extremely.
    --The Marked Hat--

Default The Realm - A W.I.P. Map for my Fantasy Story

Interesting, although looking at the map initially i saw many similarities to westeros, and thats before i read that you were inspired by a song of ice and fire. I would warn you to think about originality and whether or not people will take this world as its own world rather than a reinvisioning of westeros.

Id say pretty clearly that...

The far reaches = beyond the wall

The north = the north

Mountainlands = the westerlands or the eyrie

Ingram islands = iron islands

Lake peroe = gods eye

Richlands = shape of dorne

New twan = bear island

These are just some of the connections ive made. Now everyone here surely knows its impossible to be 100% original, but im just trying to give you a fair warning of what criticism you will most likely get. Also westeros is often referred to as "the realm" aswell.

--Latest W.I.P.---

Name:	The Agate & New Twan.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	689.6 KB 
ID:	64177

EDIT: The original posting of the image was invalid, so I re-uploaded it... not remembering that I made more changes. Messy ones. The ones you see above. Plus, my program - Paint.NET isn't working well, so any future updates will probably be photos/scans (if I can get scans)
    ORIGINAL:
    Minor updates. I intend to do a redrawing of it to make it seem less like Westeros. Also, here's a paper version I did... Made a few mistakes, unfortunately.

Name:	0517141105.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	603.1 KB 
ID:	64172 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0517141105a.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	680.0 KB 
ID:	64173
    Last edited by The Marked Hat; 05-17-2014 at 03:28 PM.
    --The Marked Hat--

Quote Originally Posted by AlexSchacher View Post
    Interesting, although looking at the map initially i saw many similarities to westeros, and thats before i read that you were inspired by a song of ice and fire. I would warn you to think about originality and whether or not people will take this world as its own world rather than a reinvisioning of westeros.

Id say pretty clearly that...

The far reaches = beyond the wall

The north = the north

Mountainlands = the westerlands or the eyrie

Ingram islands = iron islands

Lake peroe = gods eye

Richlands = shape of dorne

New twan = bear island

These are just some of the connections ive made. Now everyone here surely knows its impossible to be 100% original, but im just trying to give you a fair warning of what criticism you will most likely get. Also westeros is often referred to as "the realm" aswell.
    Have no fear, I am working on the issue of that. Funnily enough, I've never actually taken the time to really look at a map of Westeros properly, like studying where everything is and all. I agree there are similarities, but a lot of them seem to be coincidences. And, I think that even if it looks like Westeros, it's different enough - in geographic detail if nothing else - to be a distinct, disparate - though heavily influenced - land.
    --The Marked Hat--

Name:	0519141243a (1).jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	393.8 KB 
ID:	64223 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0519141250.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	675.1 KB 
ID:	64224Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0519141250a.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	606.8 KB 
ID:	64225 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0519141251.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	608.7 KB 
ID:	64226

Some views of my re-drawing of The Agate, making it less like Westeros. To the west, Dead Point, Newas, New Twan, and the West End's Ocean. Towards the East, Veroa, Stonefort, Drake's Hook, the Ingram Archipelago, and the Divident Ocean. Towards the South, Hastern Keep, the southmost islands of the Archipelago, and Southsea. Towards the North, Clemseat and Neer.

Still have yet to map Melagos or Varone, however.

And yes, the photos do look a bit odder. I did some "dynamic views" - i.e. camera experimentation.

Eventually, I will get a proper scan of it.
    Last edited by The Marked Hat; 05-19-2014 at 02:02 PM.
    --The Marked Hat--

Default The Realm - A W.I.P. Map for my Fantasy Story

Fair enough then, although i see a couple problems with your rivers

A: the stream that begins just north of potens end starts very close to the coast and then flows inland. This is pretty unlikely unless you have some extreme mountains right on the coast with a very sharp drop down to the sea.

B: the river between The Heart and Sarlyskeep. First of all its impossible to tell which direction this river would be flowing, but either way it means that somewhere a river splits into 2 downstream rivers which is normally very unlikely. You could simply disconnect the river between sarlyskeep and halfway to The Heart and let it flow down into the lake. Although thats just one suggestion assuming the heart is named off of the fact that many rivers flow in/out of it.

Hope i wasnt too confusing in what i meant, but everything else looks nice so far. Would be nice to asee where mountain ranges lie ( this might help with river planning aswell)