Thread: Photoshop is it worth it?

Default Photoshop is it worth it?

Gimp is just not doing it for me and I can not find any good tutorials! I would like photoshop for other reasons like my CG but CreativeCloud sounds like annoying bull**** and cs6 is so damn expensive would CS5 or heck even CS2 do it for me?

Edit: Forget that, I cannot find any good tutorials for gimp but photoshop ones are abundant. What I want to know is if photoshop is really Superior to gimp? from what ive seen its more compatible and in general more can be done with it. If any one knows some good gimp tutorials please tell me!
    Last edited by Wodloo; 05-17-2014 at 03:27 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wodloo View Post
    Gimp is just not doing it for me and I can not find any good tutorials! I would like photoshop for other reasons like my CG but CreativeCloud sounds like annoying bull**** and cs6 is so damn expensive would CS5 or heck even CS2 do it for me?
    What "it" is GIMP "not doing" for you? Without knowing what problem you are having with GIMP there's no way to tell if any other piece of software would have the same issue or not.

In general I cant find anywhere to start me off. I have particular trouble with rivers and borders of continents. What i want is to be able to make rivers and have the edges on the continents look realistic.

Guild Novice

Did you work through any of the GIMP Tutorials in this thread: http://www.cartographersguild.com/tu...df-format.html

I found them extremely helpful but the first thing I needed to do was gain a basic understanding of how GIMP works compared to Photoshop. I had to transition because my access to Photoshop was limited to my lunch hours. Transitioning to GIMP allowed me to work on maps, etc. when I was at home.

Hope the above helps...

There is a lot of tutorials for Gimp and most photoshop tutorials can also be used in Gimp if you know your way around. (that might take some time)

To answer your other question, I would say that photoshop is more powerful and it's easier to handle large files. Aside of that, they have different interface.... but anything you can do with photoshop you can probability do it with Gimp using the plugins.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I've never used GIMP, so I can't tell you personally whether it's comparable to PS, but from what I've seen here, you can do pretty much anything with GIMP that you can do with PS, assuming you have the patience and skill.

As for PS, I used CS2 for many years and never had an issue with it - it's a great program. The only reason I upgraded to CS6 is that a friend of a friend works for Adobe and I was able to get a bargain-basement price on it.

I use CS4, and it's adequate for most of my needs. The few features I like that it doesn't have aren't relevant to cartography. I'm not sure what features you'd be missing if you stepped all the way back to CS2, except for smart filters, which are darned useful but I wouldn't say their absence is deal-breaking.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

I've been watching some GIMP tutorials on youtube myself as I always like to jump on the visual tutorial train when I can. Have to get ready for work but I'll post a link to one when I get back.