Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gothic Horror Map Symbol Set

Default Gothic Horror Map Symbol Set

So the next 50 - 100 photo-realistic map symbols I'm working on fits the theme: Gothic Horror. If I'm going to get the higher number, I'm going to need some ideas, so plug away if you will.

Here's the first few: a translated, 2nd edition copy of the Necronomicon (so it might not grant power...), and a Gypsy Fortune-Teller Vardo wagon... enjoy!

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	necronomicon.png 
Views:	301 
Size:	341.2 KB 
ID:	64157Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vardo_of_fortune.png 
Views:	307 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	64158
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Do you have a list you're working from so I don't pitch you a lot of ideas your are already planning?

Torture Chamber - an occupied rack, jacob's ladder, iron maiden, perhaps impaled bodies on stakes, head/thumb screw chair, brazier/hot coals/tongs... prison cells.

Vivisectionist's Operating Room - a set of 19th century medical tools (as one object), an operating table, body parts, glass jars with specimins (jars of eyeballs, etc.), maybe Frankenstein's monster partially assembled.

A Faustian Wizard's Lab/Study - grimoires, scrolls, lab equipment, still, solomonic circles, magic squares, varying colored miasma - red, pale blue, green, white, a signed Faustian contract, a copy of the Necronomicon.

Aristocratic Mansion Furnishings - suit of armor on display, candelabra, ornate desk with accounting among other activities, dining table and chairs, master's chair, fancy couch.

Dead Garden - polluted fountain, dead roses and other plants, dead trees, broken statues.

Ghostly Effects - a semi-transparent ghost, shadows on floor with no one standing there, a whispy shadowy figure, various miasma clouds in red, white, pale blue and green, glow emanating from woman's corpse in glass coffin, ghostly orbs.

Masque of the Red Death - piles of plague victims, corpses on a great pyre, wagons full of corpses, miasma burning torches.

Window cast light/shadow - stained glass cast light, ornate panes cast light/shadow, wrought iron gate cast shadow, window cast light with figure peering in.

Some Statuary - marble busts, a few statues, ornate tombstones, stone gargoyles, ornate stone gazing pool (with ghostly drowned figure within).

Random Ideas - small flock of bats, perhaps some hanging bats, perhaps a full murder of crows...

If I get enough ideas, I might make this a 100 object set - but I need more ideas (hint, hint...)

Witch Accoutrements - boiling cauldron, black cat, broom, apothecary equipment and drying herbs hanging.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 05-17-2014 at 06:13 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

One more, and I'll sleep late after this. A dead girl in a glass casket. This one entirely done in 3D, with some color tweaking on the woman in Xara for some skin and lip color with transparent pink layer on top, and black for the hair. Everything else - Nendo 1.1, Poser 5 and Raydream Studio 5 (all 3 old software, but work fine for my needs.)

Edit: (I'll repeat a response I made on my G+ community regarding the double sets of eyes on the girl in the glass casket): Its why I did it in 3D, I wanted proper refraction through facets/panes of glass. I didn't plan on it to split the eyes, like that, but that's just it, letting the 3D do the refraction I don't make any judgement calls - it is what it is...

GP

Name:	glass-casket.png 
Views:	439 
Size:	798.4 KB 
ID:	64164
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 05-17-2014 at 01:32 PM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Coach, wine cellar fittings, some peasant related items, small leisure craft such as a row boat, crypt related items, vampire and vampire hunting related items, beds with straps and other sanitarium objects, cob webs, personal chapel items including broken stain glass window and floor shadows cast by stained glass windows.

Just created a coach, with coachman and horses with proper tack. I created both one of the full vehicle, and one with the roof off the passenger area for game use.

Edit: also did a small candelabra, which I've just attached.

Enjoy!

GP

Name:	coach.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	64212Name:  candelabra.png
Views: 2073
Size:  8.4 KB
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 05-18-2014 at 10:45 PM.
    DrivethruRPG store

One more work-in-progress gothic horror symbol, some aristocrats desk. You'll notice I did something I like to do sometimes in my maps and symbols - placing my own hand-drawn maps as part of a photo-realistic map. Its a fun juxtaposition! I still plan to include a wine decanter, full wineglass and maybe a flintlock pistol in that open drawer.

Name:	masters-desk.png 
Views:	236 
Size:	736.7 KB 
ID:	64217
    DrivethruRPG store

Finished the Aristocratic master's desk - added a wine decanter, stopper, wine glass (both containing some wine), and a flint lock pistol is peeking from the drawer. Of course the advantage of creating all the extra detail objects is they work stand-alone as well, so multi-purposed objects!

GP

Name:	masters-desk-final.png 
Views:	150 
Size:	625.0 KB 
ID:	64230
    DrivethruRPG store

Working on the vivisectionist operating theater - operating table, table of untensils (with just a start of the medical tools, the table will be filled when done). I plan to create a mop and bloody bucket, more blood on the floor, jars of medication, jars of formaldehyde and 'parts' in them, containers with body arms - hands, limbs, internal organs and more. Also might do some medical oddity equipment.

Name:	vivisectionist.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	64242
    DrivethruRPG store

These are great Gameprinter. The only thing I'm not sold on is the candelabra. Actually it is great, but I would also like you to create a black iron spiky wax-dripping gothic candle-stick with a variety of candle colours and no background light effect (or at least a swap-outable background light affect). I don't think anyone on any of the forums (inc dunjinni) has ever made a good gothic candlestick. I made some candles from some of Bogie's bowls here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/ma...tml#post220048) for a commission that I sometimes use, but I've never seen a good gothic horror candle (and your one above is a bit small and chrome/shiny).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast