Thread: the Free Cities - fantasy map commission

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Default the Free Cities - fantasy map commission

Hey everyone,

So here's the last map of the commission done for the writer Matt Karlov for his upcoming book "The Unbound Man", after Kal Arna and Anstice maps. The Free Cities is a zoomed in regional map from the continent of Kal Arna.

It's digitally hand-drawn in Photoshop and its size is 5x8" (As requested by the client, 2 versions provided, one sepia tone and one greyscale)

© 2014 - All rights reserved.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Free cities final.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	829.2 KB 
ID:	64985 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Free cities final greyscale.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	609.7 KB 
ID:	64986

As usual, feel free to rate, rep or run away

That looks perfect for a map inside a novel. I Liked and Rated, but it won't let me REP twice in one day!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    That looks perfect for a map inside a novel. I Liked and Rated, but it won't let me REP twice in one day!
    Ditto here.

You need to work slower so I have a chance to reload my rep power As always your work is fantastic!

I can but agree with Domino... and in the mean time, it's very pleasant to see more and more of your work. I need to charge my rep power again!
    No wonder that there are some questions about the vampire and/or machine matter .

First thing that jumped out at me was the weird scale... 22, 44, 66. It hurts my numerically inclined heart

Anyway, nice map, as always. Love the mountains and...as always...not a fan of the forest-style.
    As a last remark - I find it a bit odd to cover up a lot of real map territory with the information-shield on top of the map if there is so much empty space (aka ocean) at the bottom.

Have a Like (can't Rep you yet).
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Thanks all you guys for the comments

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    As a last remark - I find it a bit odd to cover up a lot of real map territory with the information-shield on top of the map if there is so much empty space (aka ocean) at the bottom.
    There a few things to consider about it : First I had to make the Free Cities territory fit into the map dimensions. Hence it ended up with some lands on the top of the map that aren't that much relevant for its purpose. So I did put the cartouche here Also a bit of empty space is never a bad thing on a map, that balances well the overall composition.