Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CyberPunk/modern Setting Maps

Map CyberPunk/modern Setting Maps

I've begun to set up for a cyberpunk and am working on some maps for it. I thought I'd share and see if folks had some useful insights. The first map is the lower story of a bar (it has an upper story and a half basement as well). Its not discernibly different from a modern bar, though I hope to have a few higher tech pieces that are. There are businesses on either side but they are closed for the night so I tried to darken the interiors. I mapped out the walls of these at least in case my players get any bright ideas. The windows on all of the buildings are barred as, like all classic cyberpunk settings, crime is rampant.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BC1Barataria.jpg 
Views:	758 
Size:	3.72 MB 
ID:	64232

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Nice start, but a bit toooo clean for my taste

Guild Apprentice

I like it, your modern maps are every bit as epic as your fantasy ones.

I think you might need some sort of gutter between the road and the footpath, it looks a little flat as it is.

The green carpet might be a bit light also, most of the pubs around here (Australia) use dark floors with patterns on them to hide spills.

some splits/cracks/stains on the seats might look good if you want it to look a little more used.

some graffiti/skid marks/blood/potholes on the road and footpath might also add some interest.

Do you use the same techniques for the modern as you put in your tutorial, just different textures?

Thanks for the feedback. I've made some additions. I agree complete with you about the cleaness Schwarzkreuz, but the amount of filth and clutter of the real world gets just too time consuming for a single scene so I try to just hit the items that are fairly stable within it. It does seem a shame not to give the players lots of glasses, booze bottles, and other assorted goodies to cause collateral damage to. I could probably do with a more aged look to the wooden tables, or possibly replace them with plastic topped wood that is wearing through in places.

Name:	BC1Baratariav2.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	2.51 MB 
ID:	64271

Guild Apprentice

Perfect, any player should be happy to shoot up that place.

I really like the lighting and cracks in the footpath and road, were they difficult to achieve?

Fairly easy with just the right blend modes and playing around with levels till everything but the cracks disappears. Wdmartin has me thinking a bit better on the darken/lighten blend modes with a tip they posted in my battlemap tutorials. Gave me plenty of rope to hang myself with that tip.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected schattentanz's Avatar

In my eyes the stairs on the right are confusing:

They appear to go upstairs from south to north, but there is nowhere they lead to.
    Though understanding they are supposed to go downstairs, I have a hard time convincing myself that they do so.

Kind regards,
    Kai
    CatZeyeS Headquarters - home of free Print and Play games

Excellent point thanks! I should be picking up that light and highlighting the leading edge not putting in shadow. I think I did those before adding the lighting. Looks like I should soften the edge of the concrete near them and and the right lighting to that too, should help the illusion of depth.

Guild Journeyer

I REALLY dig the texture in the asphalt - i can almost hear my boots crunching down this road! oil stains, skid marks, faded paint - AWESOME. Not sure if FS6 has a "coffee stain" effect but maybe throwing that in on the carpet would give it some more decrepit-ness to it? or some stains in the kitchen? I feel you on the amount of detail - at some point you gotta step back from a project and be like, "yep, this works." I find myself dropp9ing in a lot of unnecessary hours just jazzing up a map. Well done :-D

Here's one from a commission that is generic enough to find use in space/modern/cyberpunk settings. Part of a lab complex. I have a lights off and a lights on version.

Name:	CReSearchStationUp.jpg 
Views:	1023 
Size:	3.34 MB 
ID:	64328

Name:	CReSearchStationUpL.jpg 
Views:	1263 
Size:	3.78 MB 
ID:	64329

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast