Thread: Starving cartographer needs work

Post Starving cartographer needs work

I've been trying to branch out into RPG cartography. I've so far done the maps for an upcoming 3rd party 4e module but I need to do more. It's addictive. Fun stuff. Anyway, if anyone here knows of someone that'd like some nicey nice mapwork, drop me a line.

www.tommartinart.com

Here are some samples.

Last edited by Dr Midnight; 08-12-2008 at 12:02 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

These look pretty darn good to me, I especially like that font for Sea of Battles, not sure which you used but I use AL Afternoon Delight, one of my favorites. Keep up the good stuff and as far as making the ends meet, there is a subforum here for commissions so check that often.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Glad to see you found your way over here. They are pretty maps (though a couple have broken with the flickr link - perhaps upload directly to here?)

Any chance of a walkthrough of techniques on the first or the fourth ones?

I would strongly suggest that you go to this forum:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51

and subscribe to it so that you can see when new requests are made. You can subscribe to an entire forum by using the Forum Tools menu at the top of the forum screen. Any new threads posted will result in you getting an email about it.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Glad to see you found your way over here. They are pretty maps (though a couple have broken with the flickr link - perhaps upload directly to here?)

Any chance of a walkthrough of techniques on the first or the fourth ones?
    Fixed the links.

On a walkthrough, I'm afraid I'm going to have to be stingy... but I'll say that I uncovered a lot by studying the KEEP ON THE SHADOWFELL maps and basing my techniques off of those. Also, cgtextures.com is a friggin' godsend.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Midnight View Post
    Fixed the links.

On a walkthrough, I'm afraid I'm going to have to be stingy... but I'll say that I uncovered a lot by studying the KEEP ON THE SHADOWFELL maps and basing my techniques off of those. Also, cgtextures.com is a friggin' godsend.
    That is a shame regarding the walk through. If you look around on this site you'll see that many full time professionals have offered tips, advice and how tos.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Could you point me to a couple of those? I'd be happy to contribute in a share and share alike sense if I could see other working stiffs giving up their secrets... that'd be nice.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

They all go in the Tutorials forum over here:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48

Note that good tutorials get identified through thread ratings and those that get highly rated are given awards by the mods to sort out the good ones. Most of the long time posters here have put together a couple of tutes. The biggest one being RobA's regional map tutorial. Definitely worth a browse through that forum to pick up some useful tips in different areas.