Thread: WIP - Fortress of Berdolock

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Carbus's Avatar

Default WIP - Berdolock's Fortress

Hey there guys, I'm here to share what I`ve been up to! Last month some guys contacted me, interested on my map portfolio and asked If I wanted to work with them in a new project named Berdolock's Fortress, a dungeon-crawler boardgame with miniatures (https://www.facebook.com/riachueloga...57001864332892). It`s a remake from the original game, made 20 years ago, and I was very interested to work with them, since they liked my Temere Temple map, both by the visuals and mechanics (Temere Temple by felipecarbus on deviantART).

The game itself is made with modular board, where each game feel different to the other with countless variations of possible dungeons, and where the objective is to defeat Berdolock, the final boss. In each modular room, or corridor, there will be enemies like skelletons, spiders, zombies, etc, loot to collect, and even some rooms will come with special events (like spikes that come out of the ground, or darts that might injury the players.

It`s been a nice challenge (since I'm still on the initial process of creating props and some rooms), since the only encounter, battlemap I made was Temere Temple, which I felt a little cheesy, since I don`t like the realistic style too much (also I'm not very good at working with textures). So I decided to go with a hand draw style and light colouring, a technique where I could easily create various objects and props for the scenario. I used many elements from Dundjinni which helped me to create the base lines and colours.

Here are some of my initial designs, they are very pleased with the result, but if you guys could help with some critics and advices it would be great!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chest.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	572.0 KB 
ID:	64255 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	weaponset.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	460.6 KB 
ID:	64256 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zombie.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	293.9 KB 
ID:	64257

Name:	corredor_1.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	584.6 KB 
ID:	64258 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	corredor_2.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	575.5 KB 
ID:	64259 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dungeon_entrada.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	64260
    Last edited by Carbus; 05-20-2014 at 11:12 AM.

Looks really good so far Carbus, and what a cool opportunity. Congrats on the commission!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks you arsheesh! It`s always exciting exploring new grounds and techniques.

Three more rooms I`ve done, hope you guys like:

Name:	corredor_3.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	772.2 KB 
ID:	64314Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dungeon_zumbi_temos_fome.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	64315Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dungeon_spikes.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	64310
    Last edited by Carbus; 05-21-2014 at 07:11 PM.

Wonderful style, they lucked out when they picked you up for the job. Are the round white objects intended to be rocks? They seem a bit regular in size and spacing.

Thanks madcowchef! Well to tell the truth those are holes for the spears, since this is the spear room, where they come out of the ground and walls. Initialy I´ve made some spear coming out of it, but it didn´t feel right. But since you pointed out that those look like rocks, I think I´ll have to rethink those.

Also there were an error with an atachment, and Im fixing it right away!