Thread: Argyrian Empire map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Argyrian Empire map

I aimed for a fairly simple atlas-esque style that would hopefully not look overtly modern. The text labels for some state and settlement names are faded to indicate places that aren't part of the titular empire. What do you think of this method for representing political boundaries? I want to avoid drawing any actual borders on the map because those do not really exist within the setting -- sendetary civilizations such as the AE do not rule land so much as they rule key cities, and these cities in turn extend their domination over the smaller towns nearby, and so on down the pecking order until you've got villages that may or may not agree with their neighbours over which parcel of (arable or otherwise exploitable) dirt belongs to whom.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Argyrian Empire Map.png 
Views:	160 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	64278

I think your political entities are alright. Drawing borders can be complicated and (in you case especially) not always meaningless particularly in remote area where the control is abstract.

Awesome map, and I think it works without physical line boundaries, but you may want to reconsider the difference between empire-controlled and non-empire cities rather than being black or faded/grey. Its not super obvious to the eye right away that they are seperate and that they inherently denote empire controlled land. What if you did the empires labels in red and the outer labels in black? Just my opinion on it.

Not drawing borders and having only black and shades of grey, how do you tell cities allegiances?
    For example, the city of Cera belongs to Auria, Careantia or Ophidiana? Or maybe is a far away colony of Throntia,? There’s no way you can tell.

Very cool landshapes...as always with your maps for that setting. Are you finally coming around to doing the worldmap and some of the regional maps? I hope so...and if so, i hope you'll show us.
    I kept pestering you on the CBG about the maps...why not do it here as well

Have a Like and some Rep.! Hope to see more soon...
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

@AlexSchacher: Using differently colored labels might well prove to be a better solution, I'll have to experiment on it. Thanks for the idea!

@fabio: All of the non-faded "state" level labels are subdivisions of the empire, not independent states. But you're right, the map doesn't currently give any hints as to which city belongs to which region.

@Eilathen: I know, I've been terribly slow at getting things done. At least I now feel like I've finally nailed down the geography of this corner of the world, so I only have all the rest of it to be indecisive about