Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Thread: WIP- unnamed fantasy world

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Very nice indeed sir! The thumbnail really does look like it could be an image of earth. It's only when you zoom in to full resolution that you can tell that this is in fact a painting. That's an impressive feat.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks arsheesh. Google earth is probably the second most used program for me right now.

Ok so I have started to try doing the desert area for a change of scenery, this is what I have after the 4th try, it looks...ok. Deserts are much harder than mountains, the colors are much less forgiving thus I'm having trouble with the colors. I'm wondering if simply having the canyons as black lines might work better, without trying to create depth. Any thoughts or advice?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map02.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	71279

Quote Originally Posted by ascanius View Post
    ... one of the glaciers alone would be around a good 100km in length ...
    It's not out of the range of possibility; there are longer glaciers than that on Earth, and even a few that are not too much shorter in non-polar regions. But no matter.

The map's looking great, by the way

EDIT: Oh, and about the desert style/colorization... you might try getting a feel for it by doing small, throw-away study sketches of different source images and satellite views picked from online... even checking out some original paintings from artist portfolios to see how they handle desert colors (those are things I do when I'm stuck on something). It may also help to not work on it or show it in isolation from the rest of the map, as color choice and how it's viewed/received is very dependent on what's next to it.
    Last edited by Chashio; 03-01-2015 at 01:06 PM.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Wow, that's coming along nice and interesting. Another big and lengthy project that could capture the "annual challenge" spirit...

Default Update.

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    It's not out of the range of possibility; there are longer glaciers than that on Earth, and even a few that are not too much shorter in non-polar regions. But no matter.

The map's looking great, by the way

EDIT: Oh, and about the desert style/colorization... you might try getting a feel for it by doing small, throw-away study sketches of different source images and satellite views picked from online... even checking out some original paintings from artist portfolios to see how they handle desert colors (those are things I do when I'm stuck on something). It may also help to not work on it or show it in isolation from the rest of the map, as color choice and how it's viewed/received is very dependent on what's next to it.
    Thanks for the advice. I've choosen to not work on the desert right now and slowely grow into that region instead. Your right the colors are very dependent on the colors next to it, something I forgot. I've noticed it comes more naturally to grow into a new area/climate than start from scratch like I tried with the desert, but those mountains are extremely tedious.

Quote Originally Posted by fabio p View Post
    Wow, that's coming along nice and interesting. Another big and lengthy project that could capture the "annual challenge" spirit...
    t

Thanks, sadly this wont be in the annual challenge but I have another idea in the works for that.

Ok now for the updated map. I've started working on the south western area which should be rainforest with savanna north of that. I tried something a little different with those mountains. I wanted them to be lower and get heigher as they go north. I adjusted the colors a little bit too. I also tried two new things with the rivers, mostly adjusting the width in places to break up uniformity. Though at this scale 1px = 1.3 km if I remeber wich means the widest part of the largest river is something like 5km if I remeber correctly. In the south west portion I also tried a different color scheme and brush, still not sure about it. I also worked on the oceans and seas though I feel there is something not quite right about them, the color or something I can't put my finger on it.

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	70 
Size:	2.92 MB 
ID:	71404

Well what do you think.

Thanks, sadly this wont be in the annual challenge but I have another idea in the works for that.
    You could take only one part of the map. And you also have other landmasses.

Is there a particular reason for having the desert so reddish ?

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    You could take only one part of the map. And you also have other landmasses.

Is there a particular reason for having the desert so reddish ?
    I though about what you said but I kinda want to try my hand at another project idea that I have been playing around with.

As to the red. I want it to be a red desert, though I might have to create more variation, and right now that red is mostly a placeholder until I can figure out the colors better

... I've noticed it comes more naturally to grow into a new area/climate than start from scratch like I tried with the desert
    I've found that as well. And looking at the larger picture, I'd suggest maybe neutralizing the intensity of your desert red; you have so much blue and green in this piece that it won't take much heat to make it look warm.

... those mountains are extremely tedious.
    But they look very nice.

... I also worked on the oceans and seas though I feel there is something not quite right about them, the color or something I can't put my finger on it.
    Maybe the hue, intensity/saturation, value... or maybe another color nearby that is not working yet and throwing things off... or perhaps the sharp edges of the coastline that do not match the rest of the style. Maybe just use some adjustment layers to play with possibilities and see if you can figure out what's bugging you.

Default Update

Ok so I took your advice Cashio and Azelor, I changed the desert colors and changed the workflow for the desert ridges. They are not finished, right now only the top layer is showing, the bottom layer will give it the depth. I also finshed a few mountains and added even more, heh. I think it's coming together nicely. I still don't know whats wrong with the oceans, I'm still working on it.

Anyway.Click image for larger version. 

Views:	78 
Size:	3.80 MB 
ID:	71513

This is looking fantastic. It puts me in mind of Viking's wonderful work, and that really is the highest praise I can give.

One thing which might have room for improvement is the coastline. The problem (if it is in fact a problem) is that the land just stops and the water begins; I wonder whether something could make the shore more distinct (a slight shadow on the land, for example, or a very narrow band of brighter/more saturated coastal waters)?

THW
    Last edited by Wingshaw; 03-10-2015 at 07:13 PM.

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Ah, yes, that reads better, and the small touch of extra red appears well-blended and natural and makes me curious about the landscape. Also, just wondering... did you intend the desert to be shaped like a skull/profile of a head?

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast