Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feedback on my map(s)

Default Feedback on my map(s)

Greetings all,

I'm currently writing a YA fantasy that is set on a planet with 3 moons and 2 suns, though one "sun" is a red dwarf (yes, the physics are not precise, but it's fiction ). In any event, I've been told by knowledgeable people that such a planet would have very rough seas and tides most of the time because of the havoc played by the gravity of these celestial bodies. So, I've incorporated said havoc into my story and would like to depict it with my map. So, I am attaching both my "normal" map and my "havoc-seas" map, in which I've tried to depict said havoc with a "whitewater" type effect.

Feedback on that and any other aspect of the map(s) would be very appreciated!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	amarya1d.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	2.45 MB 
ID:	76886
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	amarya1f.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	2.89 MB 
ID:	76887

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I think that you are off to a good start (using RobA's tut I think) but I would add some effects to the land as well. The gravitational effects would tear at the land as much as it would create the stormy waters. I am thinking more islands, rougher coastlines, much more mountains/volcanoes and gorges through out the land as it gets pulled apart and smashed together as the suns pull it this way and that.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Quote Originally Posted by Korash View Post
    I think that you are off to a good start (using RobA's tut I think) but I would add some effects to the land as well. The gravitational effects would tear at the land as much as it would create the stormy waters. I am thinking more islands, rougher coastlines, much more mountains/volcanoes and gorges through out the land as it gets pulled apart and smashed together as the suns pull it this way and that.
    Those are great suggestions. And now I have other things to learn

And you're right about following RobA's tut...a wonderful guide from which I learned much. Gorges are an interesting idea and something on which I'll have to study and practice. I must also say that the land in the map has a kind of "magical" force holding it together and making it habitable, otherwise, as you've noted, the gravitational forces would do bad things. The people in the story aren't aware of this, and the reader only learns about it later in the story when the protagonist learns about it. It's a cheat, I admit, but it is fantasy

Thanks a ton for taking the time to respond!
    Last edited by michaeltobias; 10-19-2015 at 08:49 PM.

Yup, it is a great starter guide to Gimp and mapping. First one I used after joining the Guild.

Ain't notin' wrong with the Magic explanation at all. Your world and your rules so if you are okay with it, then it is all good. I mentioned it as you mentioned working the water due to the suns, and I didn't know if you had already worked out anything on how they might have affected the land. I would STILL add a volcano or two though, because I think they are cool, and can be great story sources.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Yeah, definitely a good idea for a couple of volcanoes. I also like the idea of a couple of nice gorges. Will need help from some of the experts around here to add those, though

I also am gonna move this to the proper WIP forum, because it will get more viewers and I am sure many more comments and it is a better place to ask specific questions about your map.questions

Your land seems very flat, outside of the mountains which just sort of fall away steeply. Is that an accurate representation of actually flat terrain? I know you said there's magical forces keeping the land habitable, but I would still suggest adding variations in elevation to make both the land and map more interesting.

How long has the magic been at work, by the way? If it's a recent development in the planet's history (as in, in the last hundred thousand years or so), there will be evidence of the gravitational forces on land anyway because most land forms develop over millions of years. If it's always been there, then obviously ignore this, but otherwise I'd seriously consider what Korash said about mountains and volcanoes and such. "Habitable" doesn't have to mean "flat", anyway; just look at places like Japan, which are heavily populated despite having very little natural flat terrain.

Have you considered how far in the tides would travel? You could make a second version of the map showing what it looks like when it's flooded, or some sort of levee around the coast if they've developed the technology to hold such tidal forces at bay. It sounds like tsunamis would be common. And depending on your scale, some of inland lakes might have their own tides so flooding along the rivers and lakes would also be a factor. That would increase land fertility around water routes while it's not flooded, but make settling there very difficult. They'd constantly need to rebuild, or build on stilts to minimise water damage, or have some sort of flood technology like London and (I think?) Paris.

I would also consider changing the colour of the white glow around the continents. I know it's supposed to represent foam but it looks very unnatural right now. Maybe change it to a shadow to indicate the height of the continent above the ocean, or since floods are so common there, pick a light blue from the ocean to keep that "tidal forces" feel but still blend in better with your palette.

It's an ambitious project. One of the reasons I decided my planet only had one sun was because I couldn't wrap my head around the effects two would have. I have three moons, but then fiddled around with them and said they're basically far enough away and small enough that, though visible, they interact to keep gravitational forces similar to Earth's. I wanted the visuals, but not the science so kudos to you for considering all the different problems a planet like this would have. Good luck!

Hi Freesong!

Yes, much flatness, few details. When I first began playing around with GIMP and mapping, I merely intended to provide myself and perhaps a professional mapper a reference, so I was more concerned with some details (cities, major land features, story settings) and less with others - those missing from my map

However, after I got started and got into it, I really began to enjoy myself and decided I wanted to learn a bit more about mapping and such, so I applied for membership to this fine guild and here I be.

I'll still likely only use the maps I create for reference, though who knows, I may get good enough to create my own publishable maps! That's why I'm here, really, to learn and get better at what I've decided is not just fun, but another good way to flesh out parts of my story. Creating the map and reading critical suggestions make me think deeply about my stories and give me ideas for subplots and historical nuances that I probably would not have thought of on my own.

So, thank you for your feedback and know that I take it all to heart and it helps me to create a deeper, more interesting world!

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Llannagh's Avatar

Hey there!

The question that springs to mind for me is: why such a harsh setting (geography-wise) if the magic is doing such a splendid job of keeping it all together? I'm assuming that this would be one of the exact hooks in your plotline, the magic failing or something like that.
    But wouldn't it be interesting to build in a few inconsistencies in the geography? For example a few small places where the magic didn't work for a time and the coastline IS rugged, or half a gorge or just a few meters of coastline where the tides are ripping away at the land.

Only a few suggestions that might make an interesting map!

Hi Llannagh!

Wonderful observations all! Thanks for the feedback!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast