Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having withdrawl symptoms-so I made a continent

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Post Having withdrawl symptoms-so I made a continent

It's been 2 months since I last did what I like to do most...make me a continent. With so much of my time spent on cities lately I was seriously jonesing for a continent. It looks pretty good so I thought I'd share it with you all, in case someone needs a continent for a campaign or something. About the only major tweakage to my normal style is that I changed the water to something easier to make and lighter as well. Hope you all like it and now with my itch scratched I can go back to some Fall from Heaven for a few days and relax. I'd kind of like to chop this one up into smaller sections and do up some cities, roads, borders and the like but I dunno. The original was 5000 x 5000 with a jpg quality of 10 (out of 12) @ 4.35 megs but since that wouldn't upload I reduced it to 4000 x 4000 with a quality of 11 @ 4.41 megs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	world 8.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	4.42 MB 
ID:	5865  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Praise Clap, clap, clap...

Much kudos!

This is a very nice map. Please, do crop it up and add more detales. I would love to see what you come up with.
    Last edited by someguy; 08-12-2008 at 12:44 AM.

Oh very nice. I'm going to have to try my hand at regional/world mapping one of these days. A map like this is certainly inspirational. I do like the idea of making the water a bit lighter as well. Nice work.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Guild Journeyer

Looks nice, I had a close look at it for rivers (the big of natural geography thats casuing me headaches right now) but can't see any, were they omitted for a reason? (or have I just missed them?)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

IIRC in his tutorial he doesn't put the rivers on because of the scale of the map (1 pixel = 1 mile), rivers seen at this scale would make the Mississippi at its widest look like a creek
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Right on Steel...ah a true disciple...and already a master to boot. Soon I'll be learning from you my friend. If I chop this up into smaller sections, like kingdoms then duchies then baronies etc., you will see rivers then and as the "camera" zooms into the next level then more detail comes out. It's very time consuming, but then, what else do I have to do, eh?
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Well I do appreciate the praise, but I am far from being a master...I'll settle for journeyman. for now.

It looks like you lightened the land mass up some, so the details are more visible.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Novice

Great looking map.

Any chance you would be willing to share the original PSD file?

I've been trying for the last few weeks to come up with a map to use for a new 3.5 D&D campaign I'm going to be running and well to put it simply it just isn't happening.

I can't seem to come up with anything I'm happy with, and I'm getting to the point that I'm going to run out of time soon. Which when that happens I'm not sure what I will do.

If you would prefer not to thats cool, but if its an option you can reach me off board at jdragon @ intotheshadows dot net (hopefully the spam bots will not get this :-P )

Thanks

JD

The psd is 680 megs and has some 20+ layers, don't even know where I could post something that large. Rapidshare has like a 200 meg limit. I haven't tried zipping it yet but I don't assume that it'll save me 480 megs. I've laid out the borders for my kingdoms and put some rivers in so tomorrow night I'll be chopping this thing up into kingdoms. Every night for the next few nights I'll be adding cities of decreasing size and the duchy, barony, etc. borders that go with them. So if you like you can just take this flat continent or wait until I start putting up smaller pieces. I don't even use 90% of the stuff I make cuz I do it in one night (well rivers add another night cities another, trade routes another, etc.).

My psd files for continents are usually this large so I doubt that I could ever really post em anywhere. I could try to do something a bit smaller, say 1000 x 1000 and that might be zippable to rapidshare but there wouldn't be as much detail. You could send me a sketch of something you're wanting and I could make you something and send it as a jpg (the psds are really much too large). Or as a last recourse, you could always try your hand at my tutorial for continents...it's long winded (imagine that, me being long winded) but easy to follow.

Steel: the lighter land is probably from the adjustment 2 layer where I airbrush some color for spot tweaks and since I know most of my stuff comes out dark I purposely tried to go lighter. Looks too bright for me but as long as everyone else is cool with it then we're all good.

Guild Novice

Damn, that's a big file. I was kinda afraid that might be an issue.

Thanks for laying out the options, and the offer for a custom project. For now I think I'll check out the tutorial again and keep an eye on how this one develops.

JD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast