Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: August challenge: The Grist.

Ok here are two more tiles. One T section and a four-way. These are the last 'narrow' path tiles I'll be making since now one has all the tiles need to make loops and various other hallway configurations. The grid is shown on the 4-way. Do people prefer gridded or non- gridded? I can do both but would prefer not to uploaded duplicates each post.

The next tiles will be more room oriented.

The T-way has two skeletal remains which can be moved.

If anyone has any requests for room specifics let me know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D5.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	512.8 KB 
ID:	5910   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D4.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	596.9 KB 
ID:	5911   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D6.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	613.4 KB 
ID:	5913  
    Last edited by Lord; 08-13-2008 at 10:03 AM.

Post the challenge requires both...

Quote Originally Posted by Lord View Post
    Ok here are two more tiles. One T section and a four-way. These are the last 'narrow' path tiles I'll be making since now one has all the tiles need to make loops and various other hallway configurations. The grid is shown on the 4-way. Do people prefer gridded or non- gridded? I can do both but would prefer not to uploaded duplicates each post.

The next tiles will be more room oriented.

The T-way has two skeletal remains which can be moved.

If anyone has any requests for room specifics let me know.

Lord, the challenge requires both. On my challenge thread, I've mostly uploaded non-gridded versions. Finally I uploaded a 15 MB PDF with all my gridded dungeon tiles. Those who use VT applications use non-gridded as they can apply their own grid, (square or hex) at their own scale.

In actual tabletop game play, with printed versions - they must have grids. This challenge caters to both types of users.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Lord, the challenge requires both. On my challenge thread, I've mostly uploaded non-gridded versions. Finally I uploaded a 15 MB PDF with all my gridded dungeon tiles. Those who use VT applications use non-gridded as they can apply their own grid, (square or hex) at their own scale.

In actual tabletop game play, with printed versions - they must have grids. This challenge caters to both types of users.

GP
    Ok, gotcha. Then I will just upload non-gridded and do a PDF with a grid at the end.

If I could make a selfish VTT request? When you do VTT maps they should look "lit up" through out. This makes them look more realistic when light is actually used in the VTT. Since MapTool is my VTT of choice I'll use it as an example. I can drop all the tiles into MapTool (MT) and then cover the whole thing with "darkness" and with "fog of war". Then for the character tokens I give them their own light source such as a torch, spell, or even dark vision. Now as they move around on the map it exposes what is below the fog of war and also lights up the area they move into. So by having a map that is already "lit up" it will look more natural. If it is already dark and gloomy, when it gets "lit up" by their light source the PCs will ask "what sort of magical darkness is this?". If you get what I'm saying.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Lord, the challenge requires both.
    Where does it say that ? I only read that it must have a grid.

Post You're right!

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Where does it say that ? I only read that it must have a grid.
    I guess you are correct - only gridded maps are required. Because of the allowed version for VTs and the fact the most VTs prefer no grid - I added that requirement myself, oops!

Still, I'm doing both to cater to both types of users.

Sorry for the thread jack, Lord!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    If I could make a selfish VTT request? When you do VTT maps they should look "lit up" through out. This makes them look more realistic when light is actually used in the VTT. Since MapTool is my VTT of choice I'll use it as an example. I can drop all the tiles into MapTool (MT) and then cover the whole thing with "darkness" and with "fog of war". Then for the character tokens I give them their own light source such as a torch, spell, or even dark vision. Now as they move around on the map it exposes what is below the fog of war and also lights up the area they move into. So by having a map that is already "lit up" it will look more natural. If it is already dark and gloomy, when it gets "lit up" by their light source the PCs will ask "what sort of magical darkness is this?". If you get what I'm saying.

Ok so... should the light be general ambient light, or from a source like a torch or something, I am guessing it should be ambient. Also would it be possible to take a screen shot of a map that has VTT darkness and is lit up by a source of your chosing? It would really help me get a feel for it.

Lastly, if it lit up by a torch, then it should have a yellowish oranging tint to it. Is this prefered rather than no-tint which might look lit up like florescents or something.

It should be ambient light. Basically no darkness.
    Light sources can actually be dropped in via MT so I can put torches on walls and light up the whole scene that way.

To clarify, since the challenge is for printed tiles this is all "extra" and don't do it if it impacts getting the challenge finished. It is more of an "after you're done" thing although planning for it is probably a good idea so put light sources on their own layer for example.

As for tinting, the light source itself will eventually have that, but for now we use light sources that have translucent halos of an appropriate color to basically do that.

Here is a cropped screen capture of MT. Note that the 'i' in the top left corner and the 'elf token' both have candle light radii around them. The rest of the room is dimly lit and outside the room is black because of fog of war. The actual color of the texture is what you see in the "lit up" area surrounding both tokens. I've included a sample of that texture so that you can see it without any MT processing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	159.3 KB 
ID:	5915  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Oh, and if you want to see more of what MT can do follow this link:

http://rptoolstutorials.net/maptool.htm

There are a bunch of videos there of how MT works and what it can do. They were made with a slightly older version of MT, but they will give you considerable insight. The latest version of MT has some incredible new features, but that is a different discussion.

RP,

Thanks I think I got it. I watched a few tutorials and I think RPTool is really impressive, did you make it?

So for the challenge I will just uploaded cridded tiles with my own light. Then after the challenge I will revisit them for VTT's. All the darkness/light is on seperate layers so its just a matter of turning them off and on.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast