Thread: Urban Gimp?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Journeyer

Question Urban Gimp?

A small group of related questions for you guys. After following RobA's great tutorial I know feel comfortable (ish) creating general landscapes in GIMP, enough that I can experiment a bit and generally improve my work anyway.

However the problem comes whenever I try to place any towns or buildings on the landscape - they tend to end up looking like a 5 years old scrawl, hence I was hoping for guidance.

First Question is: am I a fol for trying this is a raster package rather than a vector one and importing?

Question 2a: If I am a fool what (preferably free) package should I be looking at, and is there another guide to get me past those first steps similar to the GIMP guide.

Question 2b: If I am not a fool, then can somebody sugegst where a look (another great tutorial would be cool) to expand my skills to be able to do this.

As a guide one thing I see alot of mention of is brushes, to me these are the circular (and occasionally square) things that you vary in colour and width and thats it, but I sense I am missing out on a whole arsenal of tools with this view

Post GIMP or Inkscape

Actually, many users here rely on GIMP to create city map designs. Look at any of Torq's work, I think two challenges ago Torq did a large walled city entirely in GIMP. However he has done several urbanscapes in GIMP.

However if you are looking for a free vector app, as an alternative to GIMP, look at Inkscape - the Open Source version of Illustrator.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Journeyer

I think if I can focus on just learning 1 app (and it sounds liek I can) then I am better off doing that for now, I will try to track down some of Torq's work and see what I can learn

Guild Journeyer

That should help thanks.

Also downloaded the CSUAC, all I need to do now is work out how to add it in to GIMP, then how to use it and I should have alot more to play with.