Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moonflower Glade

Guild Member Facebook Connected jugabyte's Avatar

Default Moonflower Glade

Here's the story behind my map. My 6 year old daughter and I like to go exploring around the city, finding little spots that aren't well known. She then begins to make up stories which I gladly elaborate on (thus the silly names like 'unicorn forest'... girls, sheesh). I thought it would be cool to map out the areas we have discovered. I use Google Earth to find the area and to use as a template for scale and landscape positioning. Everything is just where it actually is in real life, just 'mapped up'. I did change the old broken train car with old broken wagons however.

A big thanks to Bogie for the freebies (trees/bridges/houses) as well as a couple of deviantart artists for the borrowed sketches of the unicorn and troll. I used paint shop pro (my poison of choice) along with some sketching filters and techniques to give it a more sketchy look.

This is my first time using this forum so I hope I attached the pic right...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moonflowerglade.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	571.8 KB 
ID:	64464  

nice and quite unusual style! Is it entirely done in photoshop? (Oups i didn't even read the end of the post where you explain you use paintshop pro shame on me!)
    Your attachement is ok, no problem in seeing it
    Last edited by Francissimo; 05-28-2014 at 04:43 AM.

Thanks, I'm still working on finding my 'style'. Originally I made the map to look like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moonflowerglade2.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	648.6 KB 
ID:	64481
    But since I'm not using it in a game I thought I'd play with it and give it a more sketchy/comic look.

I like it. Even more I like the story behind it.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

That's really handsome! Lovely work.

Love the sketchy style and colours - great job jugabyte.

Guild Novice

Nicely done. Did you create a brush special for the trees or is that all freehand?

I really like the 'sketchy' style. The border, title, and troll/unicorn artwork are really nice touches, but I think the sketch version is more appealing because of the lower color saturation. More subtle...more better.

Nice map
    Cheers,
    Cuin

----------------------
    on instagram at cuin_the_cartographer

Quote Originally Posted by xerhino View Post
    Nicely done. Did you create a brush special for the trees or is that all freehand?
    I actually used this tree provided by Bogie:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Garden Preset_bg.png 
Views:	76 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	64517

I didn't even feel like it was necessary for me to use more than one kind of tree, I just rotated and resized it all over, and changed some hues.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuin View Post
    I really like the 'sketchy' style. The border, title, and troll/unicorn artwork are really nice touches, but I think the sketch version is more appealing because of the lower color saturation. More subtle...more better.
    Yeah, it was a bit to bright and vibrant for me as well Cuin, I felt like the sketch version toned it down to a more pleasing level.

Thanks for the encouragement guys, I look forward to progressing and getting better and better.

I think this tree was created by Darkness in 2004. The particular version you are using was modified (recoloured) by Heruca in 2005 from the base Darkness tree.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast