Thread: The MED (working title); WIP

Wip The MED (working title); WIP

The idea for this latest map came to me as I stood in the Art Dept. store holding a piece of papyrus paper. I love the ancient look of the paper and realized how I could combine my love of cartography with my interest in Egyptology. This will be a combination of "real-world" mapping with fictional elements included.

The 3-view map shows (or will show):
    1. overview map showing the entire Mediterranean Sea with various ports of call.
    2. large section showing the Nile Delta (which will eventually include a hidden path, drawn on the back of the map, that will show through to the front of the map when held up to the light, revealing the secret path to the third view.
    3. closeup, cutaway cross-section view of the underground burial complex taken over by Cpt. Graybeard and his associates, for storage of loot acquired in this region of the wide, wide world.ATTACH=CONFIG]64479[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Med  WIP.pdf  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the MED WIP2.pdf 
Views:	33 
Size:	3.32 MB 
ID:	64535Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the Med WIP3.pdf 
Views:	28 
Size:	3.58 MB 
ID:	64536Here is a bit more progress on this piece. Some more mountains filled in and the Nile Delta looks a little more lush now. Coming along, coming along.
    Thinking of making the close up of the underground portion to be a night scene, with the moon and stars filling the night sky over the desert.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the Med WIP5.pdf 
Views:	37 
Size:	4.27 MB 
ID:	64620Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the Med WIP4.pdf 
Views:	38 
Size:	3.77 MB 
ID:	64621

Made it a bit further on this piece. I decided to call it "The Black Mosque", an outpost and sanctuary of the Capt's organization located at the real site of Wadi Natrum- a group of monasteries just west of the Nile Delta. And being as how the map features Egypt, I couldn't help but include some hieroglyphs. They actually spell out black mosque.

Not sure if I want to define national borders or leave it a bit more basic. Based on what is done so far, any opinions on that.

Also trying to decide how much labeling to include. I'm considering including a legend box that has letters or symbols with city/site names, and of course corresponding letters or symbols on the map. The hieroglyph box took up a bit of room.

I would like to leave as much of the papyrus showing as possible though. This stuff really has a great ancient look to it.

Just from looking at the thumbnails this seems pretty good, but the fact you're uploading PDFs makes it too much of a hassle for me to take a closer look (I can't view them directly in my browser, and I really don't feel like launching Foxit Reader just to open some map picture)

Good, I like it

Quote Originally Posted by Jorasha View Post
    Good, I like it
    Thanks guys. I'll start a new thread with a jpeg.