Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hometown Mapping Project

Guild Member Facebook Connected jugabyte's Avatar

Default Hometown Mapping Project

I'm working on drawing up my hometown fantasy style. It's to big to tackle all at once, so I'm using google earth to take sections at a time. The first section will contain our courthouse down to where our house is (in the slums! lol).

EDIT: I've fallen into the rabbit hole called Mapping. My eyes are going crossed and I'm about to throw my monitor out of the window because I can't get the program to do what's in my brain, but I'm not giving up. I'll update soon!

EDIT #2: Ok, no one likes a thread with no pictures, so I've decided to post a mugshot of how it's going so far. Still in alpha stage so I've got a long way to go. I've marked off where the streets are but the path/color will change after I'm done getting all the buildings in place.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wax2.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	328.5 KB 
ID:	64634
    Last edited by jugabyte; 06-02-2014 at 12:53 AM.

Day 3: Making progress. I know there's no picture to show yet, it's going slow and I won't bother y'all with the ugliness. BUT I'm learning a lot. Learned a new feature called 'jitter' on my pen tool. I can't believe it's taken me years to figure that one out.

Anyways, I'm working on placing houses now. It. Is. Slow. I. Might. Die.

The end.

P.S.- Anyone know of a good way to making fields on an overhead city map? Like farming fields.

I'd suggest using some real life resources.. like satelite images of some fields. Or maybe search through the mapping elements section, I'm sure something will come up.

Maybe this helps --> http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-p8CJMByMyA.../Rader2011.jpg

Yeaaaah I've looked at some satellite stuff but it doesn't translate well with me. I'd like to show the 'rows' of some fields, and I'm just not getting it quite to my satisfaction. :/

I decided to be brave and update the first post with where I'm at with my city project. One of my challenges is figuring out how to make farming fields. So far my attempts have left me erasing them all. Bah!
    Last edited by - Max -; 06-03-2014 at 10:56 AM.

Update: Added most of the buildings, attempted some farmland rows. Not happy with it, I'll probably do more experimenting. Some of the 'large' forest areas I like, and some I feel look to much like clouds, I'll probably do some erasing and trying again.

Adding buildings has got to be the longest tedious process of the whole thing...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wax3.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	410.3 KB 
ID:	64667

This is lovely! Great job on the colours, and I really like the style.

The new buildings you've added do look a bit washed out, though. I think you should bump up the contrast, so they look more like the ones in the upper-right corner.

I like what you've done with the farmland rows, but perhaps try lowing the opacity on them a little? And depending on what type of crops they are, you could also try adding a hint of either green or darker brown underneath each row.

Looking forward to seeing more!

Yeah I'm not sure what the deal is with the buildings looking more faded, but that will be easily fixed down the road. They're all on one layer so I can as you said bump up the contrast. I will definitely try working on the opacity of the crops and will experiment on crop color, great idea! Thanks!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

I think the problem is that the buildings brushes you use don't match the linework of the other elements of the map. Besides that, it looks nice overall

Quote Originally Posted by jugabyte View Post
    Yeah I'm not sure what the deal is with the buildings looking more faded, but that will be easily fixed down the road. They're all on one layer so I can as you said bump up the contrast. I will definitely try working on the opacity of the crops and will experiment on crop color, great idea! Thanks!
    You're welcome!

I agree with Max, that the linework of the buildings doesn't really match with the rest. But to my eye, it's not too jarring, and I think once you add some colour to them, it'll really help integrate them into the rest of the map and make that less noticeable.

Hmmm...I'll see what it looks like when colored. If it still looks that much different then the rest of the line work then I can add my own drawing details to the building brushes to make them integrate better.

Good stuff guys, thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast