Thread: Moving on... for a bit

Post Moving on... for a bit

Well, I'm finally done most of school (one more presentation on thurs) so i can get back to rping and mapping.

the end of school marks the start of another chapter in my life however, i'm moving to the UK, Bournemouth to be exact. My wife got into her masters there and I'm going to be looking for work (preferably in the Geomatics sector)... I thought i'd let you guys know, since i have seen some of your are from the UK as well.. any tips i should know? (i'm canadian so i already spell things correctly )
    Photoshop, CC3, ArcGIS, Bryce, Illustrator, Maptool

Quote Originally Posted by loogie View Post
    (i'm canadian so i already spell things correctly )
    This is the funniest thing I've read all day! Thanks for the laugh and have some rep for putting a smile on my face.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

glad you enjoyed that.

Blog Entries

I think that would make you the closest member to me so far... In Southampton I think that Ordnance Survey do the maps of the UK. Not a quick drive but if your into geography and maps for a job then thats the place to start looking.

I'm looking at train, don't think i can afford getting a car while I'm there, but thanks a lot for the job hints... haven't started looking really at the moment since its so hard to actually find something while your on another continent

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by loogie View Post
    I'm looking at train, don't think i can afford getting a car while I'm there, but thanks a lot for the job hints... haven't started looking really at the moment since its so hard to actually find something while your on another continent
    I understand, but these two links should come in handy.
    http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/en/pj/jp
    http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswe...ers/vacancies/

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

www.thetrainline.co.uk should be a good place to figure out how far you can travel to get to places and how long it will take.

Bournemouth is nice. I stayed in Southampton for a couple of years and I have to say that Bournemouth is nicer There's a few things you need to know before you move over. Firstly beer is not lager and should not be served cold. Nor should it have a head. Secondly, Britain is not really United. The different countries are fairly distinct - apart from England which believes it is unified because it believes England is the UK ( ). Within each country it gets pretty territorial by county and then the cities tend to have rivalries as well. This is best tracked by football teams - witness the bitter rivalry between Southampton and Portsmouth. I guess that's the same as in most places.

Also, countryside in the UK is roughly equivalent to 'town' in Canada as far as I can tell. You are rarely in a position where you are unable to see a house. In Bournemouth you should head up to the New Forest as it is lovely and there are wild horses. That's worth hiring a car for all on its own.

If you have any questions, drop them here and I'm sure someone will help out. As someone who is pretty itinerant myself I realise that some good local knowledge is a real life saver.