Thread: World Map Projection Help

Guild Applicant

Help World Map Projection Help

I've been working on a world map of my fantasy world, set during a sort of Renaissance time. I've briefly marked out the land forms that i think look alright, its just a matter of projection i want help with. I am currently using Photoshop to produce the basic outline of my map. The final thing will be hand drawn. My map is supposed to be based off of this map:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	world_1660_mural_lg.jpg 
Views:	380 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	64589

However, i don't know how to make my map in that projection, with the large western and eastern hemispheres being shown, and the north and south being shown in the corner. I only currently have a square projection of my map, and I'm wondering if anyone would help my figure out how to change the projection of my map, into the hemisphere thing in the map above.

For reference, here is the square projection of the map i have been working on.

Name:	fyul.png 
Views:	198 
Size:	721.3 KB 
ID:	64590

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Adamfaculty and welcome. NASA's G.Projector is very handy for changing map projections (you can download it here). It takes an equirectangular projection and offers you a wide choice of alternative projections. The two hemispheres on your map could be Airy or Breusing projections, but that's just a guess. Hope that helps.

Cheers - Akubra

I agree that G.Projector is a good tool for that sort of thing. I would suggest that what you have there is a couple of stereographic projection hemispheres with their accompanying endcaps. Another way to generate this sort of map is with Fractal Terrains from ProFantasy. I did the below examples in Fractal Terrains in about 15 minutes (I had to set up new projection elements to get the single image exports and the shipping FT has a 5100 pixel image overlay import limit).

stereographic with endcaps (these elements can be chopped and put on top of your existing template); with a bit more fiddling of the projection definition, it would be possible to get the endcaps in exactly the right location for your template.

Name:	fyul2.png 
Views:	145 
Size:	976.4 KB 
ID:	64596

azimuthal equidistant with a 10 degree graticule overlay

Name:	fyul1.png 
Views:	149 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	64597