Thread: A Newbie (Fireworks) Related Mapping Query

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Help A Newbie (Fireworks) Related Mapping Query

I am working on a more fleshed out regional map for a growing campaign and want to pose to you a few very newbie questions. I have searched these forums but am a little overwhelmed by the range of experience and work that I see here.

At this page you can find a very small snippet of a larger map that I have been developing. As you will note, it is quite crude, but the point was to have something, not a work of art (that comes later).

I am working in Macromedia Fireworks (it's a few revs old, which is why it's not Adobe Fireworks) which is an environment that I'm very comfortable with due to using it in my job. I have created a roughly legal-sized map (at 300dpi). I created a number of assets that I have plopped down on the map in order to create markers for hills, forests, etc. These are basically placeholders until I can pretty it up.

Which is why I'm here. A few questions:
    1. Do any of you know of a collection of assets (in any useful format) that I can use to plop down better versions of those notations?
    2. Is there a simple way to create basic, believable textures for ocean & land backdrops (which the assets are plopped onto)?
    3. How about a few color pallets?

What I want to avoid is a 19-page tutorial that takes me hours to go through. I'm trying to produce something of a 'middle' quality, not pass the thing off as a Google map.

Years ago, I bought Campaign Cartographer, found it unbelievably hard to use, then pitched it in favor of normal image editors. Now I am hitting a wall.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    DocBadwrench

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Did you try this thread?

It has all kinds of links to symbols and symbol sets. I would suggest you check that out.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Sadly, it looks like all those are Campaign Cartographer symbols... I only have CC2 (and lost the damned CD to boot). But I don't want to revisit that if I can still get away with using Fireworks.

Are there any symbol files that are in normal image formats?

I am hoping to give AutoREALM a spin this week. I hadn't visited that in a long time. Over my lunch break I found it to be better than I remembered, so I'm hoping to get some use out of that. Fractal line-making alone is something I can get excited about.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Check out the Dunjinni forums you should be able to find something there.

I've found oodles of stuff, that i have used (or plan to) in my maps.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

For textures, head here: http://www.cgtextures.com

The textures available there are not seamless tiles, but you can use the Seamless Textures out of Anything tutorial available on this forum (I haven't the time to hunt it up myself at the moment) to make them tileable.

Fireworks' native format is PNG, so it will handle CC3 symbols quite well so long as they're not still packaged in a CC3 catalog. Still, the Dundjinni forums are very accessible and generally the best place to start looking for particular symbols and objects.

Also, don't underestimate the usefulness of Wingdings fonts for icons.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name