View Poll Results: What kind of World should the Heroverse be?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Real World, Real Names i.e. Marvel-verse

10 50.00%
  • Real World, Fictional Names i.e. DC-verse

6 30.00%
  • Fictional World i.e. Ace Combat-verse

1 5.00%
  • Other (Specify in post)

3 15.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maps Of The Heroverse

Mount Savage, MD, USA, North America, America, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group.

Wip Maps Of The Heroverse

So recently I've been in a Modern Fiction Mood so I decided to get working again on my Heroverse.

For those of you who don't know I have three major projects of mine one of which is Heroverse.
    Heroverse I plan on being a series of book for late teens and a series of mature comics, its a story set in a world where superheros (referred to as Supers from henceforth) have always existed, With this story I attempt to create a Believable Super World, where the Super's are actually part of the world not just something that feels tacked on, if you know what I mean.
    The World is also set a little bit into the future which means that all that advanced Super Technology is actually plausible

Now Of course I must work on a map but I don't know what I want to do. I've made my choices:

Real World, Real Names: This Earth with the real names for everything, but still slightly changed history and etc. i.e. Marvel style

Real World, Fictional Names: This Earth with fictional names for everything i.e. DC-Like

Fictional World: Fictional Earth with Countries and stuff thats equivalent to real world countries and names. i.e. Ace Combat Earth

Other: Your Own Opinion

So I have decided to make a poll so I can see what potential readers would like most. Also if you have any comments please post them. I'll post updates on the maps as well here.
    "The Enemy's Gate Is Down" - Ender Wiggen, Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card

Software Used- ME v16, My Hands 1.0, My Brain

All Maps are either Copyright J.L.Odom and Bardic Fire Studios or under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License (Note it applies to all countries even though it's United States)

I voted for Other which in reality is a combination of 1 and 3. My thought is that if supers have been around for hundreds/thousands of years (assuming inherent ability in some at least), then history can be drastically changed. A few ideas:

• Napoleon was not defeated by Russia at Waterloo
    • Aztec/Incan/Mayan culture took over the western world and Europeans could not ever get a foothold
    • Germany and Japan won WW II and then turned on each other.
    • The confederates won the civil war
    • Spain was the dominate military power during the 1700-1900's
    • etc..

The availability of supers could drastically change the course of history, including the founding or not of towns, cities, and even nations.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected rpgmapmaker's Avatar

I voted for #1 but totally agree with jfrazierjr... you can use real names/places but shift the "truth" of the world we know however you like... this will give people a point of reference in "reality" that will springboard them into your world.

Making up names/places will make it harder for some people to get into "the mood"... as completely fictional worlds have a slightly smaller audience.

Just my 2 cents...

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    • Aztec/Incan/Mayan culture took over the western world and Europeans could not ever get a foothold

Joe
    These are two of my favorite "what if" scenarios

-Chris
    @BHfuturist Check out my Video Tutorials & Vault of Free Map Elements
    Unless otherwise stated in the post, all of my artwork is released into the Public Domain.

Mount Savage, MD, USA, North America, America, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group.

First off thanx for voteing secondly I must explain, by fictional world I ment totally different Continents and stuff, but countries of equivalence, also with history I don't want to change it too much because I figured the Supers are going to be pretty evenly spread out. Achilles was a Super, but Paris still defeats him by shooting him in the heel where his Immortality had no effect.

And the fictional names was like Gotham City in DC is New York City, and Metropolis is a bigger version of Jersey City.

Also I thought I should tell people a little bit about how I make it more real.

Not Every Super is a Hero: just because you have a power doesn't mean you won't presue your dream as an actor or something. In my world, Mozart was a Super, he was a Audiopath, which means he could make sounds with his mind, this allowed him to compose such beautiful work so young. someone with Medical Abilities (i.e. see the medical problem in someone) might become a doctor.

Oh man I guess I'll start posting my stuff on plot storming.

All Maps are either Copyright J.L.Odom and Bardic Fire Studios or under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License (Note it applies to all countries even though it's United States)

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    I voted for Other which in reality is a combination of 1 and 3. My thought is that if supers have been around for hundreds/thousands of years (assuming inherent ability in some at least), then history can be drastically changed. A few ideas:

• Napoleon was not defeated by Russia at Waterloo
    • Germany and Japan won WW II and then turned on each other.
    • Spain was the dominate military power during the 1700-1900's
    • etc..

The availability of supers could drastically change the course of history, including the founding or not of towns, cities, and even nations.

Joe
    I too like this concept, use changes as small or large as you want for your world, make things interesting.

Oh, and it has been awhile since I read about the Battle of Waterloo,... But I'm fairly sure Russia didn't beat Napoleon at that battle. the Prussians did, with the help of several other armies.

Yeah we did. Prussians I mean, Because my family's from the Prussia area.

You sir have come to the right place. Well sort of. There are better places for discussing this, but you at least have the eye of someone that is very much into all things superheroes. That would be me.

My RPG of choice is the Hero System in fact, and you would be hard pressed to find a better system for handling Supers. Yes, M&M is great as well, and there is constant discussion comparing the two so lets not go there.

Anyway, to address the question at hand, you've stated that history won't really be affected very much because of even distribution of the supers. Assuming that we are sticking with Earth as is, that doesn't mean that there would have been some changes here and there to the physical geography. The question really should be just how powerful are the supers? If supers range through the cosmic power range, than there is no reason that Moses (a powerful telekinetic) couldn't have diverted rivers, pushed down mountain ranges or widened rifts.

Personally the whole alternate history thing has become so common these days that it really isn't unique anymore. Don't get me wrong, I love alternate histories, but they can get a bit forced some times. I think your idea of having very few changes to outcomes of wars and such is actually more unique and certainly easier to write about as you can easily do cause and effects with the super interactions just maintaining the status quo.

I'll be watching this thread with great interest.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Crap everyone like real world names, that throws my entire Allied Shires Of America out the window and New Gotham. Let me reiterate that the purpose of the alternate names is because my New York City IS NOT going to look like the New York City of the Real World, the world though set in the 2020's is in a pseudo-80's mixed with 30's 50's and 60's Art Deco. Think about it, a New York with Giant Art Deco Buildings and Hologram Ads of Rocket Dog Shoes with Muzak playing in the background. and a Super fly's by wearing stud covered leather jacket and Plated Cargo Pants.

RPMiller, Are you on Plot Storming?
    Last edited by Arkkeeper; 06-02-2008 at 05:14 PM.

Well it is your world...

Have you ever read the Watchmen or Astro City? If you haven't, you need to run, right now, without delay, to the book store and buy the Watchmen graphic novel and look for any and all Astro City material you can find. Both of these are considered the quintessential settings of what the world would be like with supers are more than just a set of powers. Watchmen only has one real super powered individual. The others are basically normals with lots of training. Astro City is more four color but treats supers as more of a side story than the primary focus.

Anyway, I think you should go with what you think works best for your setting. That is the problem with writing by committee; you don't always get the best story for one's setting. If you do the whole thing, setting, plots, characters, etc by committee you can get some real cool stories. Which brings me to the other series that is a must read, and I would even put it before the aforementioned ones - Wild Cards. If you haven't read the Wild Cards series that is another huge asset. Supers come into existence shortly after WWII though so their impact isn't felt until after that period.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

I have not read I have no money for comics and unfortunately there is none in my fathers MASSIVE COMIC COLLECTION. I have one of the books of Wild Cards and plan on reading sometime. I am looking foreward to the Watchman movie, and I just would like to ask again, RPMiller Are you on Plot Storming because as soon as I get on there I'm going to post my stuff I got for Heroverse.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast