Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kalasir - The Continent of Light (WIP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Kalasir - "Topographic" Map of the Midlands

Hello fellow cartographers.

I was working on a map for my fantasy setting when I discovered the Saderan tutorial:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/tu...-tutorial.html

Unfortunately, since I was on a different version of Photoshop, I found out I had less commands and more complications. So I decided to just do the ocean part of the tutorial.
    However, once I was done with the ocean, I made the discovery that the way I made the rugged shelf on the ocean, could be applied on land to make mountains.

I ended up with a result that I think is amazing, and an awesome ocean to go along with it!
    I'l also post the tutorial for the mountains, just in case anyone is curious

The Tutorial:
    imgur: the simple image sharer

And the work in discussion, my map, Kalasir, the Continent of Light
    EDIT: I removed the old version and remade the mountains, added textures and a slight bump map to the overall thing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kalasir-Recovered-Recovered.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	64679

Any criticism would be appreciated greatly
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mountain Tutorial.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	306.6 KB 
ID:	64630  
    Last edited by Azhel; 06-03-2014 at 04:39 PM.

EDIT 2: Made some more terrain using some grass textures I found online.
    I'm not very sure about it because, it looks good from afar, but up close it's kinda... funky. You guys let me know

Name:	Kalasir 3.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	64681

The mountains look great, better than the first version even. I wasn't totally sold to the result before, but now, seeing how well it blends with other textures, it's excellent.

As for the grass, I think your problem will be solved patching it with a number of different textures as it is too repetitive. Try darker green textures for close-to-river and dense forest, lighter to yellowish ones for farmed land, and so forth.

On a side note, that river flowing from the small range in the isthmus connecting south and north... you might want to keep it out of sight from the river police

Thanks That river is gonna connect to the snowy river in the top (eventually)
    But now I'm focusing on redoing the grassy textures, trying to find some cool looking textures online.

EDIT 3: Made a ton of texturing (All of it is textured, sorta)
    Now i'm planning to white-ize the whole map to label it properly

Name:	Kalasir-Recovered-Recovered REOVERED.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	4.53 MB 
ID:	64728
    Large file incoming I suppose.

Wonderful over all, but the visible strands of moss on one of your green textures is very distracting for me. I'd considering rescaling the texture, adding noise to mask its origin, or otherwise modifying it. I really like the shape of your landmass, seems to invite political and military interest.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Indeed there's some texture scaling issues. Also you might want to check your rivers to avois some usual rules violations Nice landshape btw.

Well that'l take me a while, but I'l try. Seing as theres no single texture, it's all one big layer. I'l get right on it

EDIT 4:
    Redid around 90% of the grassy textures, into a slightly more saturated version. I'm going to shade the shorelines tomorrow, today i'm too sleepy to continue working.

Name:	Kalasir-Recovered-Recovered-Recovered.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	64733

EDIT 5:
    Gonna shade the shorelines and start labeling. I've taken up another map for my novel and this one kinda sat there for a while looking at me with cute eyes. Worked too hard on this one to let it slip. I'l call it finished after labeling is done and get to work on more pressing stuff
    Last edited by Azhel; 06-16-2014 at 01:39 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast