• The valleys of home - By Lingon

1 3.45%
  • The Sahuagin point of view - By Francissimo

6 20.69%
  • Blood Reserve - By -Max-

7 24.14%
  • Tri-translated Treasure Map - By jbgibson

1 3.45%
  • The Hand - Or, the Mapped Realms and Lands of Our Bountiful Empire - By The Marked Hat

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: *** May 2014 Challenge Voting - Mapping Like A Monster! ***

This challenge was such a great exercise in semiotics and creativity, congrats for the choice of the theme. I enjoyed the diversity of the entries, their originality, and artistic presentations. Although this forum is dedicated to visual arts, I have to say that I like the variety of media used for this subject (narratives, audio files, traditional wood carving).

I still don't have much rep to share, but here are some maps that made an impression on me:

Rudimentary Raiding Map – simple yet effective idea, smooth technical execution, refined aesthetics;
    The Lost Coast – inventive in the aspect of map reading, but the quality of the photos doesn't promote the artwork;
    The Sahuagin point of view – this one made me seasick, very expressive and alien.
    Last edited by Shall Teclex; 06-04-2014 at 09:08 PM.

I really liked the originality in the design and execution of most of the maps. Congrats to all the competitors.

Some maps are perhaps the result of too bold ideas, and the outcome is surely original and pleasant but perhaps a bit cryptic. Other less daring maps are finely executed and really pleasant to “explore” but maybe fall a bit outside of the challenge’s guidelines.

So, my vote goes to Foomandoonian’s Rudimentary Raiding Map; it’s the one that impressed me the most because of the great mix of simple yet elegant design, still strictly following the challenge’s guidelines.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Default Re: *** May 2014 Challenge Voting - Mapping Like A Monster! ***

Quote Originally Posted by Shall Teclex View Post
    The Lost Coast – inventive in the aspect of map reading, but the quality of the photos doesn't promote the artwork;
    This is a really good point which I admit I did not fully consider. Probably a good start would be to use a real camera instead of my phone...

Cheers!
    Meshon

Sent from my LG-P970g using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Meshon View Post
    This is a really good point which I admit I did not fully consider. Probably a good start would be to use a real camera instead of my phone...

Cheers!
    Meshon

Sent from my LG-P970g using Tapatalk
    Use a digital scanner (even as a service from your local graphics shop) instead of a camera or camera phone for hand-created work. Really you'd need a vertical camera mount and controlled lighting at the minimum if you wanted to continue to use a camera in order to digitally capture your maps - which is a lot more expensive process than buying a letter sized flatbed scanner. I run a digital graphics studio with multiple scanning devices, as well as a camera mount, so I have the toys to make it work that many couldn't do easily. Consider that I often hand-draw the linework for maps in sizes up to 36 x 96 inches, though usually 18 x 24 inches which is digitally scanned on my 36" wide format roll top scanner.

Personally, I wouldn't use a camera phone for anything involved in cartography, as it is the worst possible means of digitally capturing art.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Congrats to Foomandoonian for winning this month's mapping challenge, with his first ever map at the Guild no less!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Good job, dude!!!!

Foomandoonian Con grats on a well deserved win !
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"

Hi everyone. Wow, thanks, I'm glad you all liked my map. I really entered on a whim just to try something new, without any expectation of winning. The quality of some of the other maps was very high (and frankly beyond me!), so I suspect the fact that mine followed the brief pretty closely helped me.

Thanks again for all the nice comments, here and on my thread. If I'm inspired by the next topic I'll try to enter again.

Well done Foomandoonian, that first map was really a good entry wich perfectly fit to the spirit of this month subject with that unusual support, congrats

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Well done Foomandoonian! Your map fits the theme very well

EDIT: I'll open the June challenge tomorrow!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast