• The valleys of home - By Lingon

1 3.45%
  • The Sahuagin point of view - By Francissimo

6 20.69%
  • Blood Reserve - By -Max-

7 24.14%
  • Tri-translated Treasure Map - By jbgibson

1 3.45%
  • The Hand - Or, the Mapped Realms and Lands of Our Bountiful Empire - By The Marked Hat

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *** May 2014 Challenge Voting - Mapping Like A Monster! ***

Default *** May 2014 Challenge Voting - Mapping Like A Monster! ***

This month's challenge was to make a map from the perspective of a primitive monstrous society, utilizing the same sorts of tools and materials they would. The contest got off to a slow start but we got tons of entries towards the end:

Please vote for your favorite map(s) and be generous about repping the contestants. The voting will last for 4 days and the winner will receive the highly coveted golden compass.

Some good maps but few met the criteria of this months contest so I voted for . Rudimentary raiding map,It is both very nice looking and to me seems as though it emulated the materials and techniques available very well. Reminds me of ancient cave paintings of our own world.
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"

Should this Voting Poll be a Sticky? I didn't notice it at first. ( or I just need to find my glasses )

Great entries everyone!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I pretty much agree with lostatsea.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Should this Voting Poll be a Sticky? I didn't notice it at first. ( or I just need to find my glasses )

Great entries everyone!
    Yes, it should, and no you don't. I was in a hurry and forgot to stick it. Thanks for the reminder.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Adept Facebook Connected EricPoehlsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lostatsea View Post
    Some good maps but few met the criteria of this months contest ...
    I got a similar feeling. The maps I liked most:
    Rudimentary Raiding Map - got my vote
    We Remember - It is something that feels like being created by a mind quite different to a human mind.
    Blood Reserve - It just bothers me a little, that the area of the Kevrian territory is on two sides of the river not directly connected by a bridge

Among the maps which most respected the guidelines I prefer "Rudimentary Riding Map" and "Sahuagin Point of View". Both are really original, but imho "Sahuagin Riding Map" is even more original than "Rudimentary Riding Map". I really love both, but the idea to use a sea-monster population point of view is really interesting and funny, so my vote goes to Francissimo.

I voted for Foomandoonian "Rudimentary Raiding Map" which is both a good map (according to my taste) and clearly answering the challenge guidelines. I love other maps with a lot of good ideas, and I will gladly give rep (when I can...).

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Definitely a great challenge for pushing ideas to the outside of the box. Though a lot of the maps could probably have been produced by non-monsters, there were some cool renderings and a lot of story/thought being put into the cartography. The two maps that really stood out to me as being made by monsters were Shall Teclex's "We Remember" and the "Tri-translated Treasure Map" by jbgibson (though you had to read the whole thread to really appreciate that one). Great works, all round!

cheers,
    Meshon

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Once again the level of talent and creativity displayed in this challenge was amazing. I had to vote for "We Remember" it was so evocative and truly made me feel as though I was looking at something created by a non human mind. All the entries were great and the rep swabbing will begin !!
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast