Thread: The Black Mosque -WIP with JPEG

Wip The Black Mosque -WIP with JPEG

I was told earlier, but forgot in my excitement, then reminded again, that JPEG's are easier to view that PDF's.

So here is the progress so far on the last leg of the route to the Black Mosque, Graybeard's outpost in the middle East. A combination of real world map and fantasy drawn on papyrus paper.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Black Mosque WIP1.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	4.33 MB 
ID:	64664

I like the three panel layout a lot, though I'm not certain about the corner of the larger section cutting into the other. Your underground cutaways are really fun as always. For some reason my eyes don't like the orange you used, but that might be pure personal preference. What did you use to color this one?

Thank you much MCC.
    Yes, I was going back and forth on how to break up the 3 views. It does have a somewhat uneven feel to it, but hopefully I can keep a cohesive feel as I complete the piece. I was considering running a vertical legend box next to the hieroglyphics box to even things out, but got carried away with my title cartouche.
    I was hoping for an Egyptian feel with the orange and green on the scale bars. The jury is still out . Lol.
    For color, I am using Rembrandt oil pencils.
    This one is turning out to be a lot of fun.

The color looks nice and thick. I saw an Egyptian display with some of their scrolls in it. The colors, even after all this time, were incredibly vibrant not the faded "historical" look you often see, so I think you've got that part nailed down nicely. I agree with the fun part!

On the orange color, are you referring to the scale bar or the terra Cota color of the border? Those Egyptian knew how to make their pigments last...like there mummies. Haha.

Here is the latest progress so far, very near to completion. I am going slow at this point as I do not want to overdo the map. I like the more basic look and am limiting the labels, elements, borders and features.

Does anyone feel it needs more, or is there enough information for the reader to get to where he/she is trying?

I took Madcowchef's input to heart and changed the orange color on the map scale back to my more standard blue. I agree, the orange wasn't quite working.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the Black Mosque WIP7.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	3.02 MB 
ID:	64869