Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Osengaard or Egads! Not another city :D

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Wip Osengaard or Egads! Not another city :D

OK, here's another one I have in the works. I play around with this one in between projects at work. Still a long ways to go. Just to touch on some of "high points";

Osengaard is meant to be placed in temperate to taiga (I think that's the word) climate. Think Cimmerians, vikings, etc.

- Large harbor fortress (this would be a fairly recent addition in terms of city history)

- The harbor is largely complete with warehouses, a couple of taverns, an inn, and a brothel.

- The bluish-green building in the SE is a temple to Droghaan (God of the Seas), there is a dolphin statue on the top. Still more to add here.

- The main/keep castle is in the far north on an island

- The whitish-blue area is the 'Tower of Frost' a temple complex to Bhoryaal (God of Blizzards, Cold, Ice, Snow, Winter), they are also famous for hiring out as mercenaries. The entire complex is perpetually shrouded in frost, snow, and ice. Not sure if I am entirely happy with the effect, but it'll work for now. Still some things to be added here.

So as usual C&C is welcomed. Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Osengaard-WIP.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	3.41 MB 
ID:	5914  
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I believe the temple is in the SW, yes? As for the ice area, I have to agree. It looks a bit more like fog than snow/ice, but it does give an interesting effect of like dry ice melting.

I really like your water and grassy terrain.
    The buildings don't feel right for some reason though. The map has a photorealistic quality and the buildings seem to be in contrast to that. Maybe soften the edges? Not sure on that one.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

I agree with RPMiller about the buildings. The land and sea seem to have an almost blurred effect to them, but then all of the buildings are quite crisp, and the two effects don't seem to work too well.

Also, just a quick question. Is the whole area between the keep to the north and the docks going to be filled with buildings? If it is, that will be quite some city!

RP you are right, I meant SW... ooops!

Thanks for the feedback, I'll have to give a try to blurring (or something) the layers with the buildings and see how it comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by landorl View Post
    Also, just a quick question. Is the whole area between the keep to the north and the docks going to be filled with buildings? If it is, that will be quite some city!
    Not quite everything, just mainly the center "third or so" of the map. The area in between the 2 main North-South running roads. The rest will have a few, buildings scattered across it. It is supposed to be a decent sized city.

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Hum ... there is no delta, is the river is boat-crossable (can't find the word >_< to sall, to sal, to seal, to sael ... to sale ? >_<)? If so, well, the mouth is ... let's say strange. Ans the castle is to small. But this out, it's a really nice map
    Hinaloth F. Lester, at your service.

Back, with even more mapping!

Thanks... the scale of the map is 1 pxl = 1 ft, so I don't think the castle is all that small really.

Then the other building are really big ... I think. Anyway, nice overview
    Hinaloth F. Lester, at your service.

Back, with even more mapping!

Guild Journeyer

It depends, I saw the castle more as a coastal outlook fort than a central capital city type capital. (Basically 1 step up from a look out tower)

I don't think the black outlining works on the battlements either, I think removing this may help it match the feel of the background.

Also what is the thing in the north?

EDIT: Nevermind I got the terms mixed up, I think the harbour fortress is fine, I agree the main castle seems a bit small (mainly the central tower bit of it)

Well the idea, which I guess I didn't get across very well, is that the 'castle/keep' in the north is very old, the very first building constructed, hence why it is so small, and there is little room to expand it on the island. I'll probably need to add some interior 'buildings' within the walls, to fill it out a bit.

When I get a chance I'll try removing the 'outline' and see how it looks.

Guild Journeyer

Ahh if there is a background story as to why its small thats a different matter. But yes I would assume if they wanted to expand but couldn't they would use as much of the available space up as possible on the island

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast